The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#566242 08/18/2009 7:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
Well I finally did it. I've got the frame painted with black POR15 and it seems great. But I want to keep it looking that way. I plan on covering the POR15 with their black coat. The question is how soon should I apply the top coat? It seems to me that sanding to give the paint tooth to grip would lesson the ability of the POR15 to be an absolute seal around the metal. My frame is as good as new and I'd like to keep it that way. Would appreciate advice. Thank you in ADVANCE, design that is--------

Funton #566254 08/18/2009 11:11 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
I painted the frame w/ a gloss black alkyd enamel within about 4 hrs. after applying the POR.
The POR, still being a little tacky, knocked down the high sheen.
Seems to be holding up well, has a nice satin finish.
If you wait for a full cure on the POR you many need to scuff to insure a bond.
See my Webshots page for pictures.

Last edited by Wally Body; 08/18/2009 11:12 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Funton, somewhere on the por15 web site, or written on the can, those windows for painting or recoating are mentioned. If you like it the way it is then why not leave it that way... which is what I did. As tough as it is a little scuffing is not going to hurt it or cause it not to seal. Your comments are just another testament that its good stuff. Little tough to work with considering the fumes and the way it dries but it does the job!!... HOw about some pix


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
On a frame, you don't neccessarily have to topcoat it. I did mine over 10 years ago, it's still just as shiny as the day i put it on. But, it has not had any exposure to UV. However, as mentioned, it should have the window for application onthe can. Check on the topcoat can, it should say how long the base POR has to set before topcoating.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
You have the frame accessible now, so go ahead and top coat it. If it is already cured, you will need the POR etch primer. You can get it in rattle cans or quarts. That will make it adhere better.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 31
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 31

jomichael is right!...use self etching primer and then top coat if por 15 is already cured. Don't sand or scuff it! You need to follow directions to the T if you want success with their products. I always contact the folks at west coast coatings, they are always very helpful and a wealth of knowledge. Their products are designed to be used with por 15..Good Luck!

Doug R. #567614 08/23/2009 2:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 19
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 19
And hey, that stuff does come off your skin after 3 or 4 weeks.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0