The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Donf, 50Chevy3100), 116 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Help !

Trying to make my truck work "with the parts on hand".

Situation: '54 Chevy 3600 PU, 3 sp column...open driveshaft all the way.

Problem: rear tranny bushing and driveshaft yoke are wiped-out. Parts are hard to come by.

Proposed solution:

I have a good Warner T-89 three-speed from a friend's '49 3600...only problem is the rear of the tranny is set-up for enclosed driveshaft...

Can I mate the front half of the '49 driveshaft to the rear half of the '54 driveshaft, making the transition at the carrier bearing ?

Am I asking for more trouble ?


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
Short answer is yes if ALL you want to do is drive around your BACKYARD. I have done this on my 49 3100
until I can figure out what I want to use as a drive train. I would NOT drive it on the highway.
However, there may be someone who has more experience with drive shafts.


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I think I have what you are looking for. My 3106 came with a drivetrain from a 3/4 ton. The front half of the driveshaft is enclosed, supported at the rear by the hanger bearing. At that point it becomes an open driveshaft. Want pics??

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
'49,

Heck, I can't drive it on the highway NOW...LOL...

Any speed above 40 MPH, the vibration will shake the truck apart.

Dad had the original yoke neck machined and a new bushing installed by a local machinist, but when he put it back together, he didn't pre-lube the bushing, and it wiped-out again on its first trip...

This appears to be a '54-only set-up, as the later trannies have a slip-joint on the rear ?


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
I am not familiar with the 3600 series, so use as much or as little of this suggestion as you can stomach. What I did was cut the torque tube just before the pumpkin. Then took the drive shaft out and slid it INSIDE the "cut" drive shaft that connected to my "open driveshaft" rear end. This allowed me to telescope the two different shafts until I got the "right" length. After this was accomplished, I cut the torque tube (at the transmission side) where it just starts to "bell out". This get you the part of the torque tube that supports the closed drive shaft at the transmission and the busshing. You will also need the metal housing the "holds" this part and is bolted to the transmission and the crossmember and test fit it again.Since the "closed" drive shaft was smaller than the "open" drive shaft, I just used 8" pieces of pipe and spacer metal to get a tight slip fit (top and bottom) and then welded it all up. Since, I am not as good a welder as I should be, I then drilled and tapped for bolts to go through the driveshafts & spacer material. I wouldn't even THINK of going 20 MPH or pull stumps. Good Luck!!


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
Your solution sounds exactly like my 49 3/4. No reason it shouldn't work. Worse comes to worst, grab the entire 49 driveshaft set from your buddy and use it back to the rear.


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0