The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PAUL Berardi, Jon G, JW51), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#546277 06/13/2009 11:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
can anyone suggest a good rattle can black for painting leaf springs in black semi gloss

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Rustoleum
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
i like using engine paint for that "tough and chip resistant


1937 1/2 ton
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
When painting leaf springs, shouldn't they be disassembled, and have each leaf painted separately, with some special paper installed between each leaf after painting?
Chris

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
thanks , I found a nice semi gloss epoxy paint by VHT at advance auto.Looks good can't say how it will hold up.only 5.89 a can

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
.....there is poly/vinyl liners that go between the springs. I'm not sure everyone uses them though. If you paint them while assembled you will be going back and touching up the edges as the springs move and shift back and forth. Its up to you!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by neswes
thanks , I found a nice semi gloss epoxy paint by VHT at advance auto.Looks good can't say how it will hold up.only 5.89 a can

Let's make something clear, you didn't use "epoxy". It may deceptively say that on the can but it isn't a REAL epoxy. Not for five bucks a can.

There is a REAL epoxy in an aerosol can, and it goes for about $20. Epoxy is a 2K technology, you have to add a hardener to it to "cure" with a chemical "link". What you sprayed simply "dried" by solvents evaporating out.

By the way, I did a test on the REAL epoxy in an aerosol and it worked spectacular just as the real thing you shoot from a gun.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I agree with achipmunk. I did not take my leafs apart, and as I use my truck for hauling, there is always rust etc. coming out from the leaves. Makes sense though, as they are always flexing.

If I had lots of time and money, I'd go with the take apart and poly liner route. Even so, if you haul, a flexible paint, like rustoleum might be the ticket.

If, like me you paint your leaves together, I'd use matt, or flat black for them. Then a little wirebrushing, and you are ready for touch up-often.



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
I just finished my rear leaf springs. Took them apart, wire wheeled each spring "18 on each side", then painted with black Zero-Rust. When I'm ready to reassembly, I'll be installing the poly liner also. I hear it also quites the ride too.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I took mine apart, too. wire brushed them donw the whole lenth, then painted them with POR-15, reassembled them with the poly liner. Rides very dicely, considering that it's a truck and has the 3/4 ton spring package.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
MartinSr,
how does a spray can with a two part expoxy work?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0