The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Southerntruck, fonz8261, 1 invisible), 165 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#540355 05/24/2009 12:17 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
As a TF owner I don't run into stuff like this but a young fella I know would like to know what year/s had torsion bar suspension. Who can tell me so I can tell him and look like less of a dummy?

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Les

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
60-62 there maybe more details coming.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
I got this information from Jolly's Site.

1960-62:
Torsion Bar Front, Most all Models
Coil Spring Trailing Arm Rear - 1000, 1500
Leaf Spring Rear - 2500 & Larger

1963-66:
Coil Spring Front, 1000, 1500 & 2500
I-Beam Front Axle - 3500 & Larger
Leaf Spring Rear - All Models
Some Larger Trucks had Air Ride Springs


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
Modelman, not trying to contradict but........63-66 didn't have leaf rears unless they were 4WD. They had coil springs up to '70, and '71 went to leafs and 5 lugs.

..........who is Jolly, and what is the link to their site?


Mike from Alabama
My truck on Stovebolt
My website
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Mike - Jolly is the 60-66 GMC guy, isn't seen here much anymore but lotsa good info there ... and note it's GMC, which did have leafs - also Chev's could be ordered with them, I had a 64 2x that had'em

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by red58
Mike - Jolly is the 60-66 GMC guy, isn't seen here much anymore but lotsa good info there ... and note it's GMC, which did have leafs - also Chev's could be ordered with them, I had a 64 2x that had'em

Bill

Bill's right. I recently had to do a LOT of investigation to replace the rear end in my '62 Suburban.

For the original poster, the '60-'62 Chevy trucks had a torsion bar front suspension, with a crossmember near the trans that the end of the torsion bars attaches to. The frames on these trucks had an X-shape to them, and the exhaust pipes route under it (there's a raised area to clear the pipes. They bend in to go through this area, then bend back out--much like the '58-'64 Chevy passenger cars, and exactly like modern X-pipe performance exhausts--in fact, that's what i put in mine). Because of this torsion bar cross member and the exhaust pipes, the transmissions can not be lowered down from under the vehicle--they have to come out through the floor--the trans tunnel unbolts. At least that's what I found with mine. On a lift, it might be possible to wiggle it out, but only if you drop the exhaust pipes.
The trans doesn't have a mount--it bolts to the bellhousing, and the bellhousing bolts to mounts on the frame.
They have hydraulic clutches, with the master cylinder on the firewall, and the slave cylinder on the passenger side. The firewall master has two chambers side-by-side: one brake, one clutch. Converting to a dual reservoir is a must, but it's also expensive because of that clutch master. People do convert to mechanical linkage, ('63-up), but it'll require all the parts, including the bellhousing, and to my knowledge nobody sells them new so used parts need to be scrounged.

For the rear:
The GMC came with coil springs or leaf springs on '60-'62. In '63, the GMC went to leaf springs standard, with coil springs as the heavy duty option, while Chevy used coils standard, and could order leaf springs as the heavy duty option. I don't remember what they did for the '60-'62 GMC, but the Chevy DID come standard with coils. I think they GMC came standard with coils too.

The Chevy used a drop-out carrier rear end, that has a big round cover on the back. The GMC came standard with a Dana 44. They could both be ordered with limited slip differentials. The Chevy could be ordered with the Dana 44 as a heavy duty axle option. The '60-'62 Dana 44 had 30-spline axles, which is odd because everything else that used a Dana 44 used 19-spline axles (and the Dana 44 was used in a LOT of vehicles--Studebaker, Hudson, Willys, Checker cabs and Jeeps. In the '70s, most switched to 30-spline axles, though some applications still seem to have the 19-spline. They're still found under Ford Explorers, etc. An ebay search will show the wide range of modern applications. Gears are still available through DanaSpicer, and are better quality than aftermarket).
In '63, they all went to the Truck 12-bolt, which is NOT the same as the passenger car 12-bolt.
The mounting points for the rear end housing are unique for the '60-'62 trucks as well. The track bar mount is the same for '63, but I believe they moved the trailing arm perches.

My '62 Suburban uses a 1pc driveshaft. Im not sure when they made the switch to the 2-piece.

And now you know!

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
Bill, I stand corrected on the GMC.........I've been researching for a tech tip on the swapping of the crossmembers of the 63-66 trucks for later series 71-87 Chevys. I have run across a few 70-71 GMC's, and the rears were coils, just like the Chevys.....I haven't run across a 63-66 Chevy 1/2 ton with leafs yet.....I just assumed that since the 70's GMCs I saw were coils, that they were the same as they chevys of the same year. I couldn't see them going from coils to leafs to coils then back to leafs again, but evidently they did......but you know what they say about assuming........!

Thanks Bill and Brad for the clarification.


Mike from Alabama
My truck on Stovebolt
My website
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Brad54,

Great reply and very educational. Pulling the tranny through the floorboards.... eeeek

John


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
We just pulled the whole front clip out of a donor truck so I can rebuild the cross member and all the suspension, and then just swap it into my truck. I like doing projects like that--easier to keep the truck on the road during big conversions.

There were 10 bolts on the cross member, the steering box bolts, the drag link bolts, and unscrew the torsion bar bolts at the back. We pulled the engine for the guy too.

Sounds easier than it was... took us about 5 hours.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
I would like to know how you are supposed to get that big hevey 4 speed trans out throught the floor. I have a 62 never hsd to take it out yet.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0