The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#536741 05/11/2009 10:41 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Now that I have the bed finished, back together, and installed my wife suggests that I will no longer want to use the pickup as intended. She is right - It looks good. After all of the work I will not dare throw a load of wood in the back. Now what do I do?
Has anyone found a solution that temporarily covers the bed wood during times of use such as a garage floor or industrial floor coverings. Jim Carter has a rubber mat in their catalog but I have not seen any reviews. Any ideas or comments? Thanks for interest.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Hambone #536747 05/11/2009 11:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
My truck is not yet at the point that I will want to load it. But I have been thinking of how nice it would be to perhaps use it for light loads. I had thought of putting down an old carpet,
I have an old bed liner that I would put on top of the carpet. When I'm done I would just remove the carpet & liner. Just a thought. Hopefully this may perhaps work for you.

vickraft #536761 05/12/2009 12:33 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
a bed liner would probably be best but also a rubber mat that just covers the bottom would work..... I did this once by cutting up a rubber mat to fit the size of my truck.



1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I use a rubber utility mat that came from Tractor Supply. It's about 1/4" thick, 48' wide x 96' long. Fits fairly well in my be (I have the 90" stepside). Recently hauled about 700 lbs of scrap iron in it with nary the first dent, ding, or scratch in the wood.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
thanks for the insight. I did some research on a rubber mat. Some different options, but did not pull the trigger on anything yet. Did not try tractor supply - but I will.



~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Why not cut a sheet of light plywood to match the bed floor? Even a quarter inch of nice ply will provide tremendous protection. Plus, you can always varnish your ply, so it looks fancy. Varnish both sides though, or it'll warp.

Or, just use your truck, touch up the marks, and you will have patina. Some people pay big bucks for that. I know, I've seen it on the antiques road show!



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
I also got a rubber utility mat from Tractor Supply, but since my 3/4 ton bed is 50" wide I got the larger one and cut it to fit.

Joe W. #538368 05/16/2009 7:09 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Ten years ago, I got an excellent 1/2 ton 1954-bed mat from a reproduction parts vendor (LMC or Brothers, I think). I cannot now find it listed.

It was thick wide-ribbed rubber and had many small "nubs" on the bottom (to assist in drying underneath). Be careful with moisture being trapped underneath (and/or being held in an absorbent cover, such as a plywood cover).

Maybe someone can comment on the 47-55 bed dimensions matching the Chevy step-side short-bed dimensions through at least 1972.

The nice thing is that the dimensions are a clean rectangle. Several vendors sell bed-matting material that can be cut.


Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
Does anyone know where I can find a drop in bed liner for a AD truck bed? It sounds like a simple enough task, but I have been searching for days without any luck.

I have read a lot of the threads, on multiple forums, on how to protect a bed. My solution, if I can find one, would be to use a drop in bed liner.

Thanks for your help,
Dale


When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
I bought a thick rubber bed mat from a local parts store and then cut it to fit. Just a note, however, if you do this and have a nicely finished bed w/ stainless strips, etc. that you are covering, FIRST PUT DOWN A SHEET OR SOME OTHER TYPE OF FABRIC (completely cover your bed) AND A COUPLE OF NYLON CORDS (one cord on each side of your bed floor front to back a bit inside your bed sides under the sheet). If you don't, you may find that the compounds in the rubber rubber react and stain the bed and strips forcing you to wax or ? them every time you remove the mat to admire your bed. This happened to me--a real pain in the A--. By having the cords and fabric down all you have to do is roll up the whole she-bang from the front to the back (the mat is neatly rolled up with the sheet), tie it up with the cord and lay it all off to the side. It has worked for me for the past 6 years. grin


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
I am using old carpeting. It is free and does the job and is easily removed and stored. If it gets nasty(er) then just toss it and get another. No sense shelling out big bucks for a very part time use situation IMHO. Mine covers the sides as well. If you are hauling garbage you can just pull the carpet and trash out together and be done and clean. Used carpet is very easy to come by.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 95
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 95
I used a heavy rubber mat on the first truck I restored many years ago with good success. I remember pulling it out every time I washed the truck or when it rained, which was a total pain, but it protected very well.
The very same mat was used in the next truck I bought, an all original survivor with pretty decent bed wood. I didn't feel the need to keep pulling it out on that one. BIG MISTAKE! A big fat crop of mold developed after a rain or two, and that nice bed went to heck FAST! I still feel stupid for letting that happen.
Remember, it must be able to dry out if you want it to last.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0