The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the tail light lenses were held in by sheetmetal screws, or something like an 8-32 or 10-32 machine screw?
I suspect mine were all stripped and that explains the #10 sheetmetal screws.
Thanks.

Pete

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I believe that they ere 8/32 machine screws. This is what other years use.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by GMONIZ
I believe that they ere 8/32 machine screws. This is what other years use.

Thank you!

Pete

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Sorry for the late reply--I just remembered to go out and check, and my '62 Suburban has sheet metal screws holding the tail light lenses in.

I believe these to be original, as I've pulled another set of lenses off a junkyard Suburban and they also had sheetmetal screws, and the spare tail light housings I have from Ebay don't have any kind of boss, screw or anything with enough metal to support machine screw threads.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by Brad54
Sorry for the late reply--I just remembered to go out and check, and my '62 Suburban has sheet metal screws holding the tail light lenses in.

I believe these to be original, as I've pulled another set of lenses off a junkyard Suburban and they also had sheetmetal screws, and the spare tail light housings I have from Ebay don't have any kind of boss, screw or anything with enough metal to support machine screw threads.

-Brad

Brad,
That makes sense as that is what I see on mine.
They were #10 screws I think, I wonder if they could have been #8's originally?
Thanks.

Pete

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I don't know the size... or really even where to check! But the screw head fits nicely in the recess of the lens.

There isn't a lot of play between the diameter of the screw, and the ID of the hole in the plastic lens.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0