The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MickeyP, Dakota38), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,408
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 49
T
TT
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 49
The 235 / 216 swap is almost done smile smile
Found out that my 6v starter is crappers. Can I just order a 12v starter for a 1955 235? Seems like the smart thing to do right? Any issues regarding keeping the foot start exactly the same?

Also, the 216 I yanked only has 15k on it. Any value in that engine?

Man o Man I can hardly stand it.

Did I mention I can hardly stand it?

TIA


1951 1/2 ton "Buck"
Recently lobotomized for your safety.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
I think the tooth count on the six volt flywheel is different than the 12 volt flywheel. Myself I would replace it with another six volt starter. The six volt starter will work just fine and turn the engine faster for easier starts

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You need the starter to match the ring gear on the flywheel. Use whichever flywheel fits the starter you want to use.

I ended up machining my 261 flywheel to fit a 216 ring gear so I could use my 6V footstomp starter with it.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
You can use a 1955sec-59 PU foot starter if you use a 12 volt flywheel.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 49
T
TT
Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 49
Heres the thing. Engine is IN and I reused the 216 bellhousing / flywheel etc. So, is my ONLY option to get the dead 6 volt starter fixed???? Was hoping I could order a 12 v starter for 235...guess not?


1951 1/2 ton "Buck"
Recently lobotomized for your safety.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
you can order a 6v starter if off the shelf suits better than rebuilding


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0