The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, DannyW, Otto Skorzeny), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,291
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
Probably been discussed before..

I finally have the final parts ordered for my Toyota power steering conversion. Just looking for an escape route incase I have problems. I have a 55, 2nd 3/4 ton truck.

Incase the new drag link end for the drivers wheel is made for a 1/2 ton..is it different from a 3/4 ton? In that case I think I could swap a 1/2 ton steering arm?

Thanks,

Keith

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The drag link is the same 1/2 thru 1 ton on the '55-'59s.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
Slickriffs,

How about a write-up on your power steering conversion with pictures? I am considering the same thing on my '56.

Best wishes,

Les

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Roadmarks: read these links. I like the one using a "stage 1" kit from American Classis best. See what you think. It shows both the AD truck and the TF truck.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/t1.php

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/Power-Steering-Trucks/Power-Steering-Trucks.htm

As I said I like the first one better. (just my opinion)

In fact, I worked at Advance today and can order me a gear box for $116 my cost with a core which I have. Then I plan to order the kit with the drag link from American Classic, then get my pitman arm from a junk yard or order it through Advance Auto.
I'm going to use a 68 truck column I already have. Since I can get a decent discount at Advance I'm gonna probably end up ordering new pump and hoses from them.
The first article is pretty good on details and pictures.

I also looked up the steering boxes for all the years they say to use and found that 68-74 used the same part # while the other years changed a time or two. I don't know the #'s changed but figured I would stay with the one for the most years. I don't think ratio's will make that much difference since its power steering anyway.

Should you decide you want me to order you one let me know. You could pick it up while down here for the Southern Stovebolters Reunion in May smile

EDIT: Les, I think I can come out with about $300 doing mine. Its $116 for the box, $130 for the kit but take off 10%, and I can get new pump and hoses for about $75 and probably get the pitman arm at salvage yard for $5....a friend may give me one.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 04/03/2009 4:08 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Wow, that's fabulous! Looks like just what a person needs to be able to get the side clearance you need for a V8.

Have you driven it yet? How does it feel compared with the stock steering? Does it help cure the terrible bump steer that the stock systems suffer from?


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
keith,
please post pics and details on what you did for this conversion, because i also want to install power steering in my 57.
thanks.

leonard


1957 Chevy 3100 1/2-Ton
Photobucket pictures
In the Gallery
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
OK will do when the time comes..at this time I have the Toyota box which I bought on Ebay-the bracket,pitman and drag link have been ordered.

Keith


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0