The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, kades51, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,569
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#515098 03/09/2009 4:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
I have got an original 283 and 3spd in my 65 c10. It runs fine but a little on the worn side. The tranny is perfect(other than the floor shifter kit put in before I owned it). I've been looking for a rebuild kit for a 283 and can't seem to find one, any suggestions? On the transmission... what would bolt up and best cooperate with my 283? I'm not looking for great speed, just a good runner. Also need and ashtray. If anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.


1965 Chevy C10 Fleetside
If you think you did it right the very first time, chances are you got it wrong.
www.mfgraphpro.webs.com
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
What type of trans do you want, an automatic or a different manual?

My 64 has ac and the ash tray is mounted under the dash just to the right side of the steering column. This may be the type of tray that you need?


1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint
1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
Also the place that does your machine work on your 283 will be able to get an engine kit for you. They will use a few parts out of the kit for the block and heads and give you the rest to put the engine together. There should be a few offerings in different vender catalogs too.


1959 Apache 3200, Standard Cab, Big Window, Fleetside, 235/3spd, Original Paint
1964 C20 Standard Cab, Fleetside, 283/Power Glide, A/C, Pwr Steering, Pwr Brakes, NoSpin
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
Northern Auto Parts offers a rebuild kit for your 283. I believe their website is www.northernauto.com If the web address is incorrect, just google Northern Auto Parts. It's listed under GM engine kits.

John

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
I did find a rebuild kit but it's kinda high. I'll check out the northern auto website. Don't know what kind of trans I want yet. I'd like a 4 spd man, may consider an auto though. Any suggestions? The ashtray I need is mounted in the dash above the radio. Thanks for the info.


1965 Chevy C10 Fleetside
If you think you did it right the very first time, chances are you got it wrong.
www.mfgraphpro.webs.com
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The BW T-5 trans. from an S-10 or Camero is the way to go unless you want to do burn outs & speed shifing. The o-drive will make it cruise right down the road. Do a search. The has been gobs of posts on it & some info in the tech tips.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13
somewhere in the back of my garage i have the ashtray however i took it out when i installed a mini-guage trio in the hole might give that a thought

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
The 283 is fgoing to be more expensive than a 350. I browse Northern Auto, like John1 states, summit, jegs and www.pawengineparts.com.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
Nothing runs like a 283. The only real difference is the pistons themselves. The gaskets and bearings all fit other engines. If you are not in an immediate need, keep an eye on auction sites for a set of pistons. I gave away a set of standard bore stock pistons a few years ago. I'm keeping the lightweight 11.5:1 set I have for a race engine.

The other option is to build a 350 or 400 with your stock intake and valve covers. The top end tin will disguise it as a 283, yet you'll have a bunch more torque, which is useful in a truck.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
I wouldnt bother rebuilding the 283 unless it's smoking or has a bunch of blowbye.

I've run a wore out 283 for about 10,000 miles over the past 8 years without a problem.

I recently rebuilt a 327, I used a machine shop that was connected to an autoparts store... pretty much everything the machinist needed was available through the parts store... They would even assemble the engine (for a price), but I assembled it myself.... and it even runs!!


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13
ive got a tranny froma 76 chevy 3/4 ton that will bolt to your bellhousing use your old throw out sleeve/bearing cover to fit the bellhousing hole and a automatic driveshaft in the back or get all in one shot in a salvage its a heavier tranny might give it a shot best of luck


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0