The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Jon G, Wally / Montana, Simon1954, rfs56trk), 249 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#517868 03/17/2009 1:42 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 66
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 66
I am looking into dropping a early 60's 283 sbc into my truck and was wondering if anyone has had clearance issues with the stock steering box with exhaust manifold. I am thinking about using block hugger headers but most of the V8 conversions I have seen have been updated with a mustang 2 set-up. Plus I am sure that engine mounts for a 350 will work with this. Anyone have any input I might need to know?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Regardless of which smallblock you use, there will be clearance issues with the steering box. Some do the clip swap, be it M2, Camaro/Nova subframe, or late model pickup. Others simply move the steering box over using a spacer (not reccomended). I have heard that doing the power steering conversion with the Toyota pickup style steering box helps, not real sure about that, as I've never seen one in person. I did see where a guy used a steering box out of a '59 1 ton in an AD chassis, and it seemed to ok. I don't have nay pix of that setup, though.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I think the CPP power steering kit which uses a 70's Chevy pickup power steering box is another good way to get the steering out of the way.

And yes the steering is in the way.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
OldSub #517905 03/17/2009 2:39 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I'm with you OldSub. I plan just that. I will probably order my steering gearbox tomorrow from Advance Auto since I get a decent discount there. I'll also buy the "kit" from CPP....then I'm gonna just go ahead and buy a new pump and hoses. A local guy I know has this set up and it really works nice. Also only requires a SMALL cutout in the inner fender.
Lots of ways to do it but be sure to do it the SAFE way.

Bolted54: you may want to read about this so look here.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/Power-Steering-Trucks/Power-Steering-Trucks.htm

It is a good article. I also plan to use a 68 steering column to have turn signals and yet have the switch in the dash like original. Hope this helps.

EDIT: if yo want to see the front motor mounts I used on my 52 Panel go to my photobucket under my signature and you can see some pics of it.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 03/17/2009 2:41 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 66
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 66
That was a good article but they made it seem like they did it for easier steering. The pic looks like it has a sbc in it already. I can deal with the rough steering but after a full tear down and re-build I am weary of tearing it down again. If I can get by without the mod then i will go that route and if not then I guess I will have a spare motor for a future project. I am not being lazy i just spent a year doing a ground up and am ready to start driving

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Ive never done it but I understand if you use the right ex. manifold from a 55-56 car it will clear.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
I just converted my 62 Chevy PU. to power steering. I picked up a kit from Early Classics Enterprises in Fresno Ca. It came with every thing you need to convert to power and you can even get the quick Ratio if you want. At the same time I converted my front end to Disc Brakes and you have a choise of what type of rotors and height of spindles you want. With the ECE. kit every thing is GM. Truck not Auto like some places use. On my 62 the gear box sits out side the frame so that is not the problem and you could put Shorty Block Headers on the engine but I went with Corvett 21/2" GM. Rams Horn center dumps with lots of room. If you buy 2 Left sides they are cheaper than a right and left and all you have to do is cut off the Gen Bracket and grind down where you cut or order 2 rights already done for some extra cash outlay.

62Blue
Don

Last edited by Don G.; 03/17/2009 9:50 PM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0