The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (moparguy, stlcardinalsguy, Cosmo), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51272 10/18/2005 3:59 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
Does anyone have the dual Offy with the stock Rochesters on their 235? I'm not so sure that I would like the look of say dual Carter/Webers (2bbl progressives from Langdon).
What would I be giving up to stay with the old carbs? And how would the gas miles be effected?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i have dual rochester b's on my 54/3100. it gives me enough power to run a 2.73 nova rearend with a s-10/ t-5 trans and 235-70-15 tires. as far as mileage i don't have a working speedometer right now. not lon ago had a working odometer and i got 12.5 on road and 9.5 around town, partly because of the dual carbs and misadjusted carbs, to rich. hope this helps. ron btw i also have dual exhaust.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#51274 10/18/2005 10:14 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 145
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 145
Rattletrap 52,

I have a '58 235 in my '51, 3100. I'm running the Offy with 2 Rochesters on it and Fenton headers. I love the set up and they look really nice also. I thot about using the Carter/Webers but don't like the looks.

Thruwurkin


Half Ton Will Travel
God bless America...One nation under God
#51275 10/18/2005 10:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Thruwurkin,


Are you getting better mileage than WE b OLD?


Stuart.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
One reason I asked is that I hate to give up my oil bath air cleaner. Actually would like to add a second one. Plenty of room under that hood for a couple of bowling balls.
But hey, how did you guys link up the two carbs? Is there an after market linkage out there?

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
I just talked to Phillip @ Patrick's. He said the Offy linkage will work with any of the old aftermarket intakes. You can buy it separately for about $45

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 145
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 145
I get 10.5 to 11 in town and 17 on the road. I am running the stock 4 speed with the stock 4.11 rear. I don't know why he doesn't get better.

I had a hell of a time using the linkage from Patricks. Nothing seemed to work. I had to lengthen the rod from the bell crank to the carb linkage and build a new rod from the accel pedal to the bell crank.

Thruwurkin'


Half Ton Will Travel
God bless America...One nation under God
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
Thruwurkin, Did you put a 235 in your truck? Cause I had to do all that monkyin with mine too when I changed the motors. It had the stock intake too. I hear that you can change to a 53 pedal to avoid these problems.

#51280 10/19/2005 10:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
I run in the same questions:
Look - Linkage - Oil Bath Filters.

Here is how I did it.

2 Hevy duty oil bath cleaners from the trucks

Linkage from Tom Langdon (install was a peace of cake)

Filter adapters from Weber Redline

Took me less than one hour to bolt everything together grin

...ah - watch hood clearence on the cleaners bevore you slamm the hood down like a certain person I know :rolleyes: ...took me 2 hours to remove the dang in the hood.

Milage went up to 21 mpg wink with the holley/webers


Frank

[img]http://www.thesavoy.de/assets/images/Enginedriv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.thesavoy.de/assets/images/Carbdetail.jpg[/img]

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
Frank,
You got my attention, espacially with those very nice engine shots.
Looks like a 216? Or w/ retro cover on a 235?
21 miles per gallon! Whoa. You might stir-up some controversy here. I saw that "how many miles do you get?" discussion go on for a long time. Miles were all over the board; er...road.
***Please give me the spacifics of all that you have done to your engine.
I'm in the middle of a rebuild of my 62' 235 w/hydrolic lifters. (Keeping those lifters; excellent shape requiring only a mild regrind and they are original GM!)The machine shop has an original grinding machine from the 50's.
*Block at shop getting over- bored from stock .030. Pistons from Patrick's. Cast rings.
*Electronic igition from Pertronics using my old distributor.
*Still working on getting a cam. Langdon would not sell me one (Bulldog for Hydrolics) unless I had my lifters reground by his guy. So i'll be calling Delta Cam (where he gets the Bulldog). By the way, if push comes to shove, my stock cam is in beautiful shape.
*Rear end is now 3.55:1 from Patrick's.
*Manifolds will be Offenhauser/Fenton.
*Langdon wanted to railroad me into the Carter/Webers with the electric choke. (New generation, 1983, technology and brand new.) But I don't like the look. That's why I was thinking of getting another Rochester and oil bath air filter. Hey but your set-up looks fantastic! Really like the dual glass gas filters as well.
21 miles per gallon!
I'm all ears...er...eyes.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
It is a 235 with a 216 cover.
With gas prices up to $ 4.90 eek a gallon over here in Germany you better watch for milage.

1959 235 Block
Bored 0.60/honed for molly rings

848 head

Howards M4F cam (I would go for langdons Bulldog cam today - live and learn)/solid lifters.

dual Offy with Holly/Webers

Self made dual exhaust (actually Mike Yoder of Kansas Kustoms did it for me)with 2 flowmaster mufflers

Mallory dual distributor

A special 6 Volt electronic Thyristor ignition.
This is not a contactless ignition like pertronics. I´m using the points to trigger a little blackbox that does the Voodoo.

Everything can stay stock, you only have to switch 2 cables.
If you hook up the box it is a difference like day and night. Great starting like a modern car, double strong spark when cold outside and independent spark power from voltage (low battery) and rpm are only a view features.

Everything else that is needed for a complete rebuild of course.

I think the good milage comes from 4 components (the rest is verry common änyways)

1. The special Ignition that a retierd Porsche ignition engineer custom build for me grin
Sirius Ignition Don`t be scared by the look of the website - this guy is an engineer not a designer and he does ignitions far better that websites wink

Also the finetunig on the Mallory advance curve.

2. A vintage (1947) water injection that allows me to advance the timing even more.

3. The raised compression milling/decking/848 head (8,75:1)

and of course the 1959 3-speed overdrive. :p

greetings from sunny southern Germany, Frank

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Frank,

You have a very nice looking set-up.

Your smiley face after "the 1959 3-speed overdrive" is most appropriate (clever putting this item at the end). What rear end is in the truck?

At what speed do you travel the Autobahn?

Tim

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
It`s a 41 Sedan, not a truck.
The rear end is of a 59 half ton.
Traveling speed on the Autobahn is around 68 mph wich is 110 kmh.

I had her up to 90 once, but that scared the s..t out of me (It is like driving a rubber boat on a sirup lake)
and I don`t know how much the diagonal bias ply tyres can hold not even to mention the breakes eek

Frank


Frank

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Very interesting site, Frank. I could not decipher how much his product cost?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
It was arround 220 Euros when I bought it 2 years ago.
He custom build a 235/6 cylinder/6 Volt version for me.

It was usualy thought for the Citroen 2cv (4 Banger).

Since the guy is retired it is more a hobby for him and his Citroen 2CV friends than a buissines so I think the price will be the same, but you can drop him a line, he speaks englisch.

Here is his adress; [email protected]

Frank

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
Frank, Thanks for the description.
Hey, what's that do-dad to the right of your generator?
Took a drive down the romanic road a few years ago, and fell in love with the German wheat beers. Fine looking countryside as well.
-jeff

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
Jeff, that do-dad is a Frantz oil filter. It uses a roll of toilett paper as filter element. grin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0