| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Phak1, Bill Hanlon),
116
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,360 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#50926 10/08/2005 12:41 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | I'm looking to upgrade my existing suspension. My frame is the "x" style drop frame that was no longer used on 1\2 tons the following year. My truck has torsion bar IFS and rear coils. I'm thinking a sway bar (or 2?) and a set of new wheels with radials will do wonders. I'm going to go with all new poly bushings and new shocks as well. So my questions are: Are there any bolt-on sway bars available that will fit this frame and suspension? Front and Rear? As far as size, what wheel/tire combo will fit and work best for steering and ride improvement? Currently running the original 15X5(6?) six hole split wheel with tubes and tires. Any help and input is welcome and appreciated - even if it's wrong! | | |
#50927 10/08/2005 1:46 PM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 252 | When I bought the sway bar and brackets for my '68(all the bars and brackets are interchangeable '63-'87), for giggles I tried matching it up to the front of my '61. There is room on the front edge of the lower A arm to mount the bushings and brackets, and the bar will clear the centerlink fine. The only modification I could see other than drilling some holes was possibly to the "L" shaped bracket that mounts to the frame, that then accepts the "U" shaped brackets that holds the bushing/bar in place. I think it may need a small portion cut out of the short section and re welded to sit evenly on the frame as it's a slightly different shape than the later frames. The frame on the torsion bar trucks is also boxed in that area that will make bolting the brackets on a challenge, but they could be welded I suppose. The factory set up for the torsion bar trucks (there is one according to the assembly manual) is a end link sort of set up. I've never seen one, even on the larger trucks. | | |
#50928 10/10/2005 8:49 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | So I'm looking at the sway bars in the LMC catalog and they are listed at fitting 60-66. I'm skeptical. The "tech support" told me that according to the "research" that the sway bars would fit my 62. If I were a gambling man, I would bet that they will fit anything from 63-72, but they won't fit my 62. Anyone out there with experience or knowledge about these? | | |
| |
| |