The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, chemanic, Joe H, Phak1), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,339
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504893 02/11/2009 9:28 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
Hi there, I'm new to the site. I'm restoring my Dads 1937 pickup, and I'm trying to find the best available grille and bed. I am looking to keep it original. he restored it in the 70's and the grille he used I would describe as low quality. Who has the best one out there. I,ve been considering one from [censored] Moffit and one from Chevs of the 40's. [censored] is an 8 week wait right now. I saw one at Hershey and thought it OK, but not overly impressed. I'm from the east coast, so I can't see Chevsof the 40's and their pictures don't show enough. I don't have a problem using a stainless one (Chevs) if it looks reasonably original. As far as the truck bed MARK V from Oklahoma says they are about 2 months away from having one available. I can wait if their stuff is really nice, but I haven't seen their work. Anybody know? If not any other suggestions.Thanks for your time. I'll be away for a few days, but will check back in by Sunday.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Welcome to the 'bolt. You say the grill is low quality. In what way? Is the chrome pitted? Is the metal damaged? Many repop parts will be lower quality overall than OEM. I believe Chevs has steel repops that will have to be plated (at least they do for my 38 car). Their stainless grills are mainly for street rods and only approximate the OEM grill. If the original grill is solid but needs new chrome do a site search using CHROME in the search box. There are a lot of chromers you want to stay away from.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #505098 02/12/2009 4:58 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
I probably wasn't clear enough in my description. Dad restored this in 1977 and replaced the original grille with a repop at the time. I no longer have the original grille. The reproduction he put in was probably all that was available at the time and it's not very good. I would like to replace it, but want to buy the best quality one I can. Sorry I wasn't clear, but what I have now would not be worth trying to fix.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If it was me I'd start following ebay every week. I fairly often see stock 38 car & truck grills listed. I don't look for 37 stuff but they should show up on occasion as well. Good luck.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #505188 02/12/2009 3:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
If you don't know, car grills will not work in the trucks. I made mine so can't give any advice on grills. I bought my bed from Mack Products out of Moberly Missouri. (660-263-7444) I had no problem putting it together or finishing it. Quality was first rate.
http://mackhils.com/mack_products/

Last edited by Joe H; 02/12/2009 4:00 PM.
Joe H #505446 02/13/2009 4:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Like Joe H. I got mine from Machils back around 1999 and it is still holding up very well. It's good quality and went together nicely. I would recommend having them to go ahead and weld on the stake pockets and angle strips if you decide to deal with them on the bed assembly. I also used stainless strips and bolts along with Oak wood. BAck then the entire kit including cross sills ect cost less than 1200 including shipping and back then I bought it through a vendor named Roberts Motor Parts. No telling what it is today but buying straight from Machils may help.
You may want to wait and see what Mar-K comes up with. I've heard nothing but good things about them. They also answered a recent inquiry the very next day.
Since buying a grille, and then having it chromed will only double your investment I recommend to go ahead and lay down the cash for a stainless grille. They are pricey but cheaper in the long run. Back then I got my grille from I&I Reproductions out of CAlifornia. I personally don't like I&I, their sales staff and other reasons. I would imagine most/all the grilles come from the same place now days.
Mine has held up well but maybe its because I bought mine before everything got REALLY cheaply made??


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
Thanks sharing your experience

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
We have many of the truck bed parts for 1937-39 trucks including a new Front Bed Panel and Rear Cross Sill. We also have cross sills, wood bed kits and are working on bed sides for these trucks although we don't have a date yet that they will be ready.
We have 10% off in February with the Stovebolt code: LUV2095.
We also have our FREE UPS GROUND shipping special and a FREE TRUCK FREIGHT Special. Just go to www.mar-k.com for details.
Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 44
Wrench Fetcher Thanks for the reply. I would like to buy your bed, but I need the sides too. How soon is soon? I would like to get it asap. I have my sides available for patterns if needed. Please let me know. Thanks

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 406
Thank you for your offer, but we have a pair of original bed sides, and tooling is in process. We are hoping that we can ship the bed sides in about 2 months. If you PM me your info, we can contact you when the bed sides are ready.
Hope this helps!

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
well spring carlisle is only 2 months away. make up your shoppig list and come on out.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0