The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rusty Rod), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
One of my leaf springs keep coming off the mount in the rear. Can this be fixed? Where can I get replacements for them if i can't fix them?


1949 Chevy 4400 Grainbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photobucket pictures

The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back!

Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
49' Hayhauler, could you post a picture of the spring as it is when it's off... a diagnosis will be a lot easier.

Paul.


1948 Chevy 6400
1964 Chevy 1/2 Ton
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Yes, 49'hayhauler pictures would help. There should be no way that the spring is coming off the rear mount.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
I will try to get pictures this weekend. When I get home from work it is dark. I guess I should have given for details. It is only on leaf that pops up on top of the mount the larger bottom peice stays on. It makes the left side sag and I am concered about damage.


1949 Chevy 4400 Grainbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photobucket pictures

The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back!

Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Do you have a broken main leaf?
Picture will help.
Grigg

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Yep, It sounds like a broken main leaf. I had one break on a '52 3100. I did't notice it until I put it on the lift one day and the left front wheel was hanging down a lot farther then the right. The second leaf will support the truck when it's on the ground.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Where can I get a new set of leaf springs?


1949 Chevy 4400 Grainbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photobucket pictures

The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back!

Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
I have been in this vendors store, stacks and stacks of springs, parts, more parts, and more parts, all are susposed to be NOS. Try calling never hurts to ask. This vendor is in the links page, I have no affilation. http://www.antiqueautosupply.com/
Brad

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Here is a website with pictures of my truck and the leaf spring that is off http://photobucket.com/49hayhauler

I can not see any broken springs. Should I just change it out for a new one anyway? How much do these springs run???

Last edited by 49' Hayhauler; 02/09/2009 4:40 AM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0