The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
How can I determine the rearend ratio in my truck.

Is there a method/trick to find out?

I don't have any documentation, I don't want to open the pumpkin,

I was wondering if I could jack up one wheel and spin the drive shaft........ or something like that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all

brian :confused:


"So many trucks, so little time!"

Vehicle list:
down to 2 now.
1 - 1967 Chevy 3/4 ton LWB 4x4
2 - do I dare say it??? a 61 Ford Unibody
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Yes, you can do it that way. Make two complete revolutions and count the rotation of the drive shaft. The wheel opposite the wheel you turn should rotate the other direction unless it's a locking differential.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 38
if I left one wheel on the ground, and it's not a locking differential, would I get double the ratio?


"So many trucks, so little time!"

Vehicle list:
down to 2 now.
1 - 1967 Chevy 3/4 ton LWB 4x4
2 - do I dare say it??? a 61 Ford Unibody
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 53
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 53
In other words, with one wheel on the ground (can't turn), turn the other wheel (the one that is jacked up) exactly two revolutions. Your ratio is the number of times the driveshaft turns during two rotations of one wheel.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0