Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl, Hotrod Lincoln, TooMany2count, chemanic, 1 invisible),
96
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,418 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#49333 08/21/2005 11:03 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 | before i get into topic my head is still spinning from the quick and valid info response. who has any info on F.I. and H.E.I. FOR 235? fabrication is not a problem.anyone got pic's of such a conversion. someone has to of attempted such a thing because we all get tired of leaky,dried out carburator gaskets or that stuck float.i realize that simple is great(carb)but call me crazy since putting 80,000+ miles on my 4.0 f.i. 98' grand cherokee it's convinced me f.i. would be nice on my 52 3100 panel.thanks again for any and all response. | | |
#49334 08/21/2005 11:16 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 38 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 38 | I'm sure an easy bolt on throttle body fuel injected "carb" kit could be made to fit on the stock intake manifold with minimum hassle. All you would need would be a timing input, water temp input, air flow input, and throttle postion input. I owned a 91 Geo Metro once and this car had the simplest one barrel throttle body injection system on it. In the 200K miles I put on this car, I never had a problem with the fuel system or any sensors. If a big company like Holley was shown enough interest, maybe something could happen..... | | |
#49335 08/22/2005 3:14 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 | Holley markets a throttle-body injection system called Pro-Jection. It's pretty pricey, and performs best at full throttle. I'd be prone to think it would be simpler to grab a GM wiring diagram, and work on adapting a throttle body injection system from a 2.8 or a 4.3 Liter V-6 to a stovebolt engine. A few sensors and some wiring, and it wouldn't be too difficult to set up. The HEI distributor from the V-6 would need to be adapted to the inline engine to trigger the injection pulses for the computer. Edit: Here's a tech article on installing a ProJection unit on a Jeep I-6, and it seems they're pretty pleased with it. http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/holley-projection.asp Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#49336 08/22/2005 3:26 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | www.diy-efi.com - GM-ECM section. Build your own system from the boneyard - stay all GM!  | | |
#49337 08/22/2005 4:35 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | Fuel injection is nice on new cars because the carbs were getting way to complex. I don't see a need for FI on an old truck. When I bought my 04, Harley, Superglide, I INSISTED on a carb. Unfortunately the new Superglides are ALL FI.
I like simple things that work well and I like having control over my cold fuel mixture with the choke. Part of the fun of having an old truck is using the choke.
delete my account and pictures
| | |
#49338 08/22/2005 1:02 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,817 | Yep, and we need to arm our troops with bows and arrows, instead of those newfangled 'flintlocks"! There's something to be said for new technology, especially with gas at $2.50 a gallon! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#49339 08/22/2005 8:38 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 44 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 44 | You can buy a new HEI for the stovebolt 6 for around $150. They even have a special round coil to appease the purists amoung us. Check with Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co.
41 Chev 2dr coupe 51 3100 w/a 261 11 Camaro RS ragtop
| | |
#49340 08/23/2005 12:27 AM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 | I saw an article in a mag. a few years ago where a guy put a T.B.I. unit from a 3.8 buick V6 on a 235 but dont recall the details | | |
#49341 08/23/2005 1:43 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | that would be a good choice since the buick is a 231. | | |
#49342 08/23/2005 5:36 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | GMCpanel, it seems the site you linked to is no longer in business. It now links to a worthless search engine. | | |
#49343 08/24/2005 5:42 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Whoops! www.diy-efi.org My bad... | | |
#49344 11/12/2006 12:38 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | I'm just going to try and revitalize this topic. Has anyone here done this? I had a conversation with my cousin today. He just coverted his old MG to F.I. Used "megasquirt". He said it was relatively easy and cheap. He spent just over $800.00 and has the tools and skills to build custom intake manifolds. I'm building a 261 stroker and am stongly considering this. | | |
| |