The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hotrod Lincoln), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
Hi,

Those of you who need to find brown wrinkle paint for your restorations (primarily 37-38 truck interiors, but also some heaters and other accessories) probably know what a hassle it has been for the past several years, trying to find some decent wrinkle paint. Jim Carter and Chevs of the 40s sell some that needs to be heated afterwards with hairdryers or other such--and they never wrinkle consistently. Eastwood used to have a great aerosol, but now they only carry it in black. I was recently working on restoring a 1938 Chevy heater for my 38 coupe; the original paint on the heater was in very good condition. It was a textured/wrinkle brown, much like that of the interior of my 37 1/2 ton. Unfortunately, there were a few spots that needed touched up badly. I happened one day to be in my local Menards, and saw the Rustoleum display. They have some fairly new products and one is called "Rustoleum Multicolored Textured"; one of the colors, "Autumn Brown [223523]," looked pretty close to the Chevy color that I needed. I figured it was worth the $4 for the can. When I tried it on a scrap piece of metal at home, I was pleasantly surprised how close it was to the original brown wrinkle on my original heater, both in color and texture. It might be just a hair lighter/brighter than the original, but it's pretty darn close. I redid the heater with 2-3 coats, and it came out beautifully. When I need to redo the interior of my 37 cab, I'll go with this product. If you're a 37-38 guy, buy a can and give it a try on some scrap metal--see what you think.

Yours,

Jim

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 165
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 165
Jim,

I saw that also at the hardware store and was planning trying it. Good to hear your comments.

Thanks

Kevin wave



Kevin
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i used rusto hammered brown on my 40 and it worked real well.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I've been using their hammered silver and it comes out looking great to....but I had to experiment some on how light/heavy to spray it. I've used about half dozen cans so far and it seems to be real consistent to.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Is the OP talking about hammertone or wrinkle-finish paint here? If it's wrinkle-finish you can use any color and then spray the desired color over that.

Hammertone is kind of a multi-color/fisheye finish like found on AD Deluxe Heaters.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
I was talking about wrinkle, not hammertone.

Jim

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Then any wrinkle finish paint will do. Just paint over it with the correct color... the wrinkle will still be there unless you bail on so much color it fills the wrinkle.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I covered all the metal panels in my 37 with cloth and I am seriously considering removing the cloth and painting it close to original and will be getting some of that paint and see how it matches the material I picked to redo the seats,its going to get a more period correct interior but not exactly original. Jeff

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I bought a can tonight at wally world and they wanted 5.77 for a can so maybe its time for a trip to menards if they are 4 dollars there,I will take it to work with me and I will see how it matches up to the materials i picked out for the seats. Jeff

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I finally got around to using the paint,I cleaned up and painted a more correct inside rear view mirror and like what I see. I am going to paint a piece of metal and go match up some material for the seats since what I picked out is too dark.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0