The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, DES57, Tom McGrath), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Just bought a 1950 frame from a guy. The frame has been blasted and powder coated. It has a new rearend (I think a dana 44). He bought a 292 from one of his friends that had it in his 50 truck. He rebuilt the engine (new cam, pistons the works) and mounted in the frame. He had a 350 turbo connected up but took it out for the sale. The guys father was redoing the truck for several years and had gotten this far and lost interest. The son got the truck and decided to put an S10 frame under it. He just wanted to get rid of the original frame and the 292 motor. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to get it. Already has the radiator mounted and everything. You want believe what I payed for it.... $600 dollars for the whole thing (good deal you think?). Motor has been cranked. This thing is totally ready just waiting on a body. I have a 50 - 3 window and a 53 - 5 window and I am trying to decide which to build on top of this frame. Also trying to decide what transmission to install. I can use either one of the 3 speeds in the trucks I have but am considering a 350 turbo automatic. I have also heard talk about a 5 speed from an S10. Love to know what you guys think about the motor (is it a good motor?) and what transmission to put in. thanks for any advice you can give. To see pics of the frame and motor click on the link below.
Ole skool trucks drive
P.S. I am uploading pics to photobucket now. If you do not see them, check back shortly and they will be loaded.
http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/...Trucks/1950%20Frame%20and%20292%20motor/

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Sure sounds like a decent deal to me. Being one of the older hot rodders on this site I prefer the forked 8s.But on the positive side I can remember when the guys ran 292 GMs and 300 Fords at the local dirt track and turned up some pretty good times.The 292 is definitly a move up from the 235s and 216 boat anchors. Go for it.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
If I had known you had already posted the question here, I would have deleted this instead of moving it here. Double posting doesn't get you better answers. It only causes more work for moderators.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Sorry Cletis, after I posted it in the other forum I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Im new to this so I will get better.
Ole Skool Trucks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
OK Cletis, this guy has to be from my area as I know where the chassis and engine came from...so being from South Carolina cut him a little slack....just this once smile

OleSkool: the 292 is a good engine. One I think lots of folks over look. Weren't they more popular in the big trucks and school buses?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
Six hundred bucks for a rebuilt 292 is a STEAL! Grab it quick before the seller finds out how much it's worth.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
hey you don't need that garbage so just let me know when would be a good day to come by and pick that old junk up

computer_punch see/read laalaa

Lucinda Otter-Purr, our 51-3104, 292-T5 powered bolt
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/

Last edited by carolines truck; 01/05/2009 5:37 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Bump

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Great Engine...Nice Buy. The 292 has the same bellhousing pattern as the SBC & BBC, so you have all kinds of options for the trans.

I have a NV4500 for mine in a '54 1 ton. Good Luck, Jim



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Thanks JD49 for the info. I think I am going to be pretty happy with this motor after reading all the comments I have gotten. I think I would really like to put duals and work on getting a 2 or 3 carb setup...that would be way cool.
drive


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0