Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,357 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 197 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 197 | Seems like a straight forward question, the engine has ~17K on it and is in my 52. The engine sat for about 5 months and withing 2 cranks started right up, if the gas was there it would have kicked right over. The problem is, it has 2 leaks, one in the front somewhere and one around the transmission. Downside to this whole thing is the rear gears and the tranny won't let the truck get above 45mph I am sure. I wanted to do a engine and rear swap, or body swap, but I am now thinking I should consider running the engine that is there since it appears to be very reliable. Looking for thoughts, especially if anyone has thoughts one swapping the transmission with something more modern w/overdrive. I want something relatively easy to swap in.
Thanks, I am getting very frustrated recently considering there was originally only one leak. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Leaks are not impossible to trouble shoot and fix, start with that. With only 17,000 miles you should not need a rebuild, but should check and adjust clearance on the bearings, probably while you have the pan off already to fix a leak. Wouldn't expect this to cost much, and nothing like completely "rebuilding" the engine. Think of it as making the best of what you have, an essentially free good running engine, it should be reliable for a good long time with proper care.
With that done then start playing with transmissions (T5 ?)and rear axles/gears, find what you like, at which point you'll probably want more power. Then while still happily driving your old 216 you can take your time finding and rebuilding a 261 or even a 302 GMC. In a long weekend you can swap engines and be back on the road.
Take it one small step at a time,
Grigg
PS, to answer your original question "Is rebuilding a 216 worth it?" So we're on the same page about what "rebuilding involves.. to me rebuilding involves complete disassembly of the engine, machine work as needed, with lots of new parts, I would expect a good bit over $2,000 worth of work for a 216. If that's what you meant by "rebuilding", then I don't think rebuilding a 216 is a good idea unless you have close to a 100% original truck and like it that way. If you don't care about that then jump to a 235 or a 261, they simply bolt in so you haven't really (if at all) hurt the value with this type of upgrade..
Last edited by Grigg; 12/07/2008 1:31 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | I had mine done at a local machine shop for $1500.00, he modified the rods to accept insert style bearings and replaced all pistons with a better design. The crank in mine was fine so we kept it and the cam. He did a valve job and machined my flywheel. Also installed new timing gears and adjusted the oil squirters, The guy was so stoked that he got to use some equipment that hadn't been used for years. I sold another o/h for him to another guy that drove 250 miles to bring it to him. He charged $1800.00 for his. See my earlier posts to get his name and number. It has been about 2 years.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I don't consider myself a "purist" but I do believe in keeping these old rides as close to original as possible. Is rebuilding a 216 worth it? I say yes if it's the original engine for two reasons. One is you are maintaining a level of originality for originality's sake. Second, most states used the engine number as the VIN on the title through '55. If you are in an engine number state and change the engine without retitling it you may run into title transfer issues for future owners. My two hundredths of a dollar. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I've got a 216 in my daily driver. It's a 1950 One ton. I still have the stock gears in the back end, which are 5.14. My truck will cruise at 45-50 mph, with 2000lbs on the deck. Now, I do slow down a little on hills, even wide open. But, parts are cheap and plentiful, I bought a spare engine for $75. I would think that in a half ton, it would be more than adequate. Mine does leak also. But I have yet to replace the rear main seal, and my engine has who knows how many miles on it. If you want more power, you should get a copy of the California Bill's Chevy Speed Manual. Dual carbs and exhaust can make a difference. If you really want to go fast, change out your rear end gears, but the acceleration will suffer. Plus, the mighty 216 looks cool, and the best thing is, its not a 350. But, it will not make 350 power, unless it's burning Nitro, then you'd be up in the 195 hp range. But think that might be tricky on the street. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | I certainly like mine. People [censored] about them but after 55 years, my original engine is still running strong. Theres nothing like the sound of that tick-tick clockwork rythum as your cruising down the street with 10-15 pounds of oil pressure. Plus if its a 1/2 ton you can do a 3.55 swap and that will get you up to 65 mph on the freeway.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 45 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 45 | I am currently putting my 53 Chevy Tin Woody back together. It has the splash oiler 235. Toyed with the 350 idea (already have it) and then decided to keep the 235 but dress it up a little. Going with an Offy dual manifold carb system, Fenton headers. Will be putting a T5 in it with either a 3.42 or a 3.73 rear. Am told that the 3.73 will give better gearing option for the tranny. Both will cruise the highway at speeds you are looking for. FWIW. Ken
Ken in NY
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 197 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 197 | This is a 1 ton model. I been driving myself crazy with a frame swap and decided the other day to give up on that idea. Now I am trying to decide whether to shorten the frame by 18in or just go and get another bed side used and cut a 18in piece from it and lengthen the bed that I have. It was a flatbed and I want a regular truck, not a flatbed kind of guy. I had the other frame measured up and ready for the swap, but could not get the engine running. Luckily I have a 50 ft drop next to the shop that I need to keep my sanity around, but that came close to becoming a victim. Needless to say the frame and engine took a outdoor location while the truck came back in for the winter.
| | |
| |