Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,506 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 | I will be reusing my 1951 Chevy Truck radiator and need some assistance. I want to polish the brass top of the radiator and simply paint the rest. Any ideas of how best to remove the old paint so that I can polish the brass surface on the Harrison radiator? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | solvent or paint stripper or sand it off with a 3M stripping pad
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | If you are "restoring" your 1951 Chevy Truck radiator, then it would not be polished it would be painted black like the rest of the radiator. If your polishing the "brass" upper tank on your radiator then you would be "customizing" your 1951 Chevy Truck radiator. I know Bill, you don't have to say it, I know I'm a nit-picker!!!! Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/30/2008 12:52 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | actually I might have mentioned that if he'd said "restoring" Denny, but "reusing" is different .... a lot of us give these old relics a new lease on life - "resurrect" them - and like to let their true soul shine thru  one initial polish with BrassO, then benign neglect, produces a beautiful dark patina that works as well as proper rad paint to dissipate heat .... and I love the look of non ferrous metals Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 | Soda blasting is also a way to remove paint without abrading the underlying metal, even for softer metals like copper and brass.
R-Bo
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction) 1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Well excuuuuuse me, I would have sworn that said "restoring", must be that dyslexia again, or it could also be senility, oh well, polish away boys. A little squirt of MarHyde Aircraft Coating Striper and a scotch bright pad orta take care of the paint and your right about the Brasso, I use that a lot for my old radio restoration work, it works wonders on Bakelite also. Denny G
Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/30/2008 10:29 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 | Denny... you're excused... it's always interesting to read the feedback that is received to posts... sometimes... conversations occur that don't even answer the question that you posted. Just for anyone else that might be interested in doing what I'm doing... i've discovered that a product called "Lime Away" works wonders on the old paint and deposits. Will post some pictures of the radiator when I get things painted and polished. Thanks to everyone for replying. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | I'm not going to say how I stripped mine because then everyone would jump in and tell twenty reasons why that product doesn't work, but while in the process of cleaning mine up once I saw the brass I couldn't help myself. PICTURE Don't know how long I'll be able to maintain it but it'll look good for a while. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | It looks really sharp Woody! If you can't post the how to would you PM me. I like the way it looks! Could you clear coat it after it's polished? Dan | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Dan, I clear coated mine with duplicolor high temp clear it isnt holding up well at all, think im gonna strip it this winter polish it ..an just leave as is ...just have to get a can of BRASSO to keep it shinin. Tim | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 207 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 207 | Wow! Woody that is beautiful. How did you do it??
Tom 1965 Chevy C10, 230 straight six, 2WD, 4-speed manual
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | I used my "secret weapon"... NYALOX BRUSHES for stripping the paint. I used them in progressively finer grit: the gray first, then the orange and then the blue, each step removes the sanding scratches of the previous. Then I finished with Brasso. FYI, it's been at least a year since I did it and it's looking like an old penny now. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 | I have wondered for a long time if nicely preserved black paint hid a majestic brass radiator top on my 56 Cameo. After I saw Czechman's picture I decided it was time to look, so I did some scraping. It's brass! does anyone know what years were brass capped? Mine is a 56 and I just assumed it was steel -- till now. I'm ordering the nyalox brushes--- now. This will be a great winter project (along with the others). Thanks Woody --- Dale | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | all rads were brass tanked into the 60's at least, pretty hard to solder steel to the copper cores
Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 | So - I'm part way through stripping the paint from my copper top radiator, and I see a lot of solder all along the bottom. I see in other photos (like Woody's) that solder is not there, so how do I (should I) remove that "excess" solder? Was It a result of a manufacturing process that didn't care if it ran, since it was all painted black anyway? Thanks- Dale | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | it wasn't made that way Dale, the factory wasn't that sloppy, no doubt happened during a repair job when the tank had to be removed [done while it was on it's side judging from the runs] - you might try something like the tool Woody used, but you won't get all that color off because the brass is porous enough to 'suck it up' - if you don't like the look, paint it  Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 |  Not what I hoped to hear, but thanks Bill. Maybe I'll try some sanding - coarse to light - first - if that doesn't do it - like you said, there's always black paint. Good to hear the factory wasn't that sloppy though. It is messy Dale | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 | Well - who would have thought it - sandpaper (800) does a fine job of removing the solder and sands to clean brass if you sand long enough. The flat surfaces are not too hard - it's the indents that really present a challenge. -- but I'm getting there. Sorry - I'm feeling like I'm hijacking this thread, but it's still the same subject. After sanding I go over it with 0000 steel wool, and then 0 steel wool to polish. Final will be brasso.
Dale | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | Wow, that is a great idea, I think I'am going to go ahead and polish the tanks on my 55 and 50. There is a old man that used to have a gas station and mechanics shop here in town years ago. And he helps me a good bit on the old trucks (when I can catch him sober) he said to use meratic acid, like the stuff you use to clean concrete?? He is a little on the mutty side, but would that work??
SW Radial, that is one sharp truck you have. I hope my project turns out at least have as nice.
Last edited by tracern1; 01/21/2011 3:27 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 152 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 152 | HI, I did mine, And I used scotchbrite pads Then polished with a soft buffing wheel. It turned out great!!
49 chevy 1-ton. It is a work in progress but it's getting close. 49 1 Ton Pics | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | HI, I did mine, And I used scotchbrite pads Then polished with a soft buffing wheel. It turned out great!! Thanks for the info, I think I will go that way. The acid way sounds like it may be a little to extreme. | | |
| |