Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | I spent the last couple of days installing the bed on my truck. I think it turned out pretty good considering I had to wing it. I hit a couple of snags like having the wrong rear crossmember and having to make custom mounts. But by far my biggest disappointment has been the tailgate. It just dosen't fit! As you can see here and here, there is about a 1" gap on both sides. For the life of me I can't remember where I bought it otherwise I'd be fussing to someone right now! I suppose I can fix it but for once I wish "bolt on" really was!
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | Did you measure the front of the bed from side wall to side wall? It looks like the bed sides are leaning out at the top.
I can't imagine that the tailgate is too small. You might have fabricated the rear cross member too wide.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 | Just a suggestion. If you had a stick (story stick) that represented the inside measure of the box up front you could double check & compare the measurement at the back where the tailgate is supposed to fit. As countilaw mentioned this would help determine if the crossmember is the problem before having to modify your tailgate. Good luck. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Robert, Your bedsides seem not to be vertical while your tailgate is. I agree with Frank and vickraft. That crossmember may be the problem.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Also you might get more responses over on the Paint and Body forum.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Robert, from yur pics it sure looks like the rear end of your bed is flared out bought 2" to wide buy the tailgate hinges and your bedsides are leanin out. Just took a quick measure on mine ..me bedsides at the rear are exactly 50" wide inside and my tailgate fits great. Hope this helps. Tim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Did you measure the front of the bed from side wall to side wall? It looks like the bed sides are leaning out at the top.
I can't imagine that the tailgate is too small. You might have fabricated the rear cross member too wide.
Frank I measured the front as I was getting it squared up. if I remember correctly it was around 50" of so. The rear sill is from a 1/2 ton that I just had to fab some different mounts. The bedsides do appear to be leaning in the photos because I had loosened the bolts on the sill.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Robert, from yur pics it sure looks like the rear end of your bed is flared out bought 2" to wide buy the tailgate hinges and your bedsides are leanin out. Just took a quick measure on mine ..me bedsides at the rear are exactly 50" wide inside and my tailgate fits great. Hope this helps. Tim Mine measures 50" also. What are the tailgate measurements?
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | The top of my tailgate where it is rolled is 49 7/8" wide. Tim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 |
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | this is about the same problem i'm having and thought i could un-tighten all the bed bolts and pull the rear bed sides in an inch https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...;Main=63797&Number=461071#Post461071
Last edited by carolines truck; 10/17/2008 5:14 AM.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | Then you have a problem. I hope you can remember where you bought it and exchange it I believe making it wider would be difficult, could you bring the bed sides in 1/2 inch on each side?? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | I'm going to take another crack fitting it this weekend. I dont think modifying it will be very difficult. I believe I can have someone weld a 1/2" strip to both sides and 1/2" pipe to the mounts and it should fit.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 131 Certified Bolt Nut | | Certified Bolt Nut Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 131 | I would agree with the previous posts. Most of these things are always solved with a "simple" or "obvious" problem. Your tailgate being 1 or 2 inches too small is just not the usual answer. I would put a square in the bottom corners of the bed just in front of the tailgate. I would be willing to bed your bed sides are not square to the bottom. You could also check this by taking your measurement on top of the tailgate and then checking to see if that is the same as at the bottom. I would double/triple check before welding on some metal to make it work...chances are you have got it off by just a little. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 275 | The actually fit of these trucks are NOT the greatest. But you should get the tail gate to fit withing 1/4 inch on each side if you square the side walls.
Once you get the floor boards in, you should be pretty close to getting the tail gate to fit.
Frank
No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now. http://www.coxcustomcars.com/ | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | I honestly believe the tailgate is too short. I double checked the panels and they're all square. When I try to mount the gate and shift it from side to side it fall off the mounts.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | It seems your gate is 3/4" shorter than others. That is weird! That means you have a gap of 0.375 on each side.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Yep, thats about right. I'm trying to decide if I should try to modify this one or just buy another. 
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | If you haven't finished the bed (boards) I would do that before I did anything, just in case there is another reason it doesn't fit besides the size of the gate.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Just bought this one on Ebay. I like the flat black & pin stripes. I had been seriously considering going with a flat black look anyway.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 | Did the new one fit? How are things up north? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Sorry for the delay. I haven't put it on yet but when I stand them side by side there is a noticable difference in height so it should fit great. Anybody want to buy a gate? 
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | |
| |