Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#46092 06/09/2005 1:21 AM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 | I have a 52 1.2t chev (235). Just about done with the frame off. I'm down to the exhaust system. I went to order from Jim Carter just to find out they have discontinued selling them anymore. anyone have any suggestions as to where to get a complete system? | | |
#46093 06/09/2005 2:00 AM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | you can get a complete one from patricks for $599.95 520-836-1117...good luck,,Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#46094 06/09/2005 12:51 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | Joker; Have you ordered and received one? I haven't gotten mine yet. | | |
#46095 06/09/2005 4:45 PM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Does the exhaust pipe for pre-'54 216/235 compared to the '54-and-later 235 have a slightly different bend below the exhaust manifold. In other words, is the angle of the down pipe on a 216 exhaust manifold different from the angle on the downpipe on a later 235/261?
I am asking this because I have bought exhaust pipes from mail/phone/internet vendors (who no longer sell them). And 2 out of 3 times they sent me exhaust pipes that did not match up with the angle of the manifold.
If I had a good local exhaust system builder in my area, I would have them make the exhaust system. Note: the dual-exhaust system from Jim Carter also did not work with a stock 4-speed or Hydra-Matic transmission ('54 or earlier 1/2 ton trucks).
Tim | | |
#46096 06/09/2005 6:12 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | 49 geezer, I have one on mine,,about 9 yrs old, not all the stuff from patricks,,got the fentons from them,,just received a new catalog from them so their name was fresh on my mind, they will even restore your truck, even provide one,,,cost some money but still another option, they provide a lot of things and options they most dont,,,Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#46097 06/09/2005 6:37 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 82 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 82 | GEC52,
It appears that Kanter also has the complete exhaust system available, although I would call or email them first. Says that they have a stainless system available as well. But, I have found that they sometimes don't have a complete inventory of everything.
Richard 58 3104
| | |
#46098 06/09/2005 9:00 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | I like Patrick, sort of a pal of mine. However, that being said, $595 is a hell of alot for an exhaust system for a 60 y/o truck. I put a new custom built dual setup on my new GMC for $380. I'll be taking my 53' to them shortly and I'll bet it won't ruin 600 simoleians. At least this old Scotsman will never spend that much. | | |
#46099 06/09/2005 9:42 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The best way is to take it to a muffler shop & have them build one. The only problem is getting it there & back.Mine does a single for $200 & $300 for duals. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#46100 06/09/2005 9:48 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 | Thx guy's, I think I'll look at Kanter. What a difference in companies. Jim Carter was $130. Patrick $599.? Sounds like they're taking us for a ride. | | |
#46101 06/09/2005 9:54 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | Spoke with Patrick's today and their first stainless steel systems complete with muffler will be coming out soon. They are taking special care to ensure that the systems are perfect, instructions included and adequately packaged to prevent damage. May post pics once I get them to show the configuration. My local custom exhaust guys told me $600 for a SST system without the mufflers. Figure Patrick's are in line costwise especially if the system is as good as they say. | | |
#46102 09/23/2005 4:47 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 90 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 90 | I've been quoted $400-600.00 (we're in arnolds tax and waste state) for a set of duals off a split manifold and they're guaranteed for life. Walker ? or Flowmaster 50's (I like quiet). Aluminumized 2'' pipe, (for 292). made to fit.
Gooday Jim
small wheel moves by fire and rod, big wheel fires by the grace of god, everytime that wheel turns round, bound to cover just a little more ground.
| | |
#46103 09/23/2005 5:25 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | I'm getting ready to tow my truck to the exhaust shop to have duals put in it from the fenton's back. To tow it what I did was borrowed a tow set up from a friend who uses it to two a jeep behind his RV. Its basicially a triangle of steel with a tow hook up at the front. Since I've got the front clip off it wasn't a big deal to bolt it to the frame horns. Towing it is no big deal that way!
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
#46104 09/26/2005 6:12 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2004 Posts: 204 | I have one of Patricks muffler sets and he is not taking anyone for a ride. It is worth every penny as far as looks and mounting it goes.
Unfortunatley I can't start my engine yet but I am willing to bet it is going to sound as good as it looks! | | |
#46105 09/26/2005 10:30 AM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | Got mine from Patrick's also. It is a very nice exhaust system. Mine's going on over the winter. | | |
#46106 09/26/2005 12:43 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 | Does Patrick have a Muffler system for 54 GMC Longbed 1/2 ton PU? BTW it has a 261 w/ Fenton headers.
1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
| | |
#46107 09/26/2005 9:31 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | Cujo; My truck is also a longbed. Patrick (at the time of order) said that the pipes would have to be extended a bit to accommodate the longbed. I figure that I'll go to a custom shop where they do stainless systems and get them to make me up a couple of extensions which are belled on the ends. | | |
#46108 09/27/2005 1:09 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 | 49 geezer, I would like to see a picture of your finished exhaust system when you get it installed. Where in the exhaust system will you install the custom extensions? Thanks.
1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
| | |
#46109 09/27/2005 4:43 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 399 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 399 | Is a stainless system worth the extra money? I got a custom made system with aluminumized pipes for 12 jears now on the daily driver, still good and we have tons of salt here in the winter.
A friends stainless is rusting at the welding seams after 5 jears.
Frank | | |
#46110 10/01/2005 2:03 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 236 | I finally bought a system from "The Filling Station" for $199. Steel. I'll never rust or wear that out since the truck will only be driven in the summer. It fits good. | | |
| |