The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, TrknGMC, Ridgeback, 59 fleet, tclederman), 107 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
OK...

sometime ago I was talking about getting some of these rusted phillips screws out, and somebody was recommending a tool that you'd hit with a hammer and it would turn with the impact of the hammer.

anybody know where I can get one of these bad boys?


May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
go to any parts dept or wall mart and ask for an "impact wrench"- they'll show you where it is. May even hold yer hand.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
If you ask for an impact wrench, they will take you to the air tool dept. Ask for an impact driver for screws. I thought coke would take care of that rust. wink


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
thanks guys... grin

found this at sears.com ; Sears Item #00947762000. search for impact driver and they have 3 different sets for anybody interested.

Picture


May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
just ordered this one from northern tool and equipment . sears cheapest was $19.99, and I got this one from northern for $8.99.

Picture


May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 14
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 14
Don't get a cheap chinese one! They are just JUNK!

The best kind would be a snap-on impact driver. (Hint: go on ebay and find a snap-on one for 30-40 bux). Otherwise go to sears and get one, but don't get a chinese POS!

Jay


People don't understand why I love old trucks...could it be cause i'm 17?

'54 3800 dually
http://www.dpsolutions-inc.com/54truck/truck.jpg

'56 GMC Dump Truck (and story)
http://www.dpsolutions-inc.com/56dump
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I've been using a Chinese made impact driver since the mid-70s when I bought a cheap set in Britain.

If mine ever breaks, I'd replace it with this one, which is most likely made in China.


Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I seem to remember someone a few months, years ago rigged up an impact driver from an old extension. They welded a handle on the extension and a screw drive tip on the end of the extension. They put it their impact wrench and removed rusted in screws and bolts. They said it worked great. Maybe someone with a better memory could elaborate.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
There is two spray rust inhibitors that I will recommend here to the Bolters and I have had excellent results with them in eating away rust. I removed most of my screws on sheetmetal with a screwdriver or 1/4 drive socket. You must let it soak for a few minutes to up to 24 hours depending on how bad it is rusted.
1. PB Blaster by B'Laster/B.C.C.I. Cleveland Ohio
2. LPS #3 LPS Labs.Inc. Tucker Ga.
62Blue
Don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
I have an impact driver from Sears. And yeah its a Craftsman,I bought it back in the 60s and it still works just fine.Its one of those tools which has been used a lot and also loaned out on many occasions.Cant remember what I paid for it,probably around $20.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
I have one also and find it indispensable for loosening Phillips head screws/bolts on old motorcycles. The issue there seems not to be rust, but the loctite makes it difficult to remove the screws without destroying the relatively soft heads. I would agree with the other posters, it is a great tool to have.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
answer for Larry .... works great, especially if you have lots to do grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
I got one of the chesp one's and broke the bits after a few screws, just got new bits off Snap-on truck and problem solved.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
red58, Thanks, I thought I was on the right track. Didn't remember it was an air chisel. It's still on the back burner, as I'm on the left coast. 8-]

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0