The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45980 06/07/2005 4:04 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I am wrapping up my dual carb, Fenton 261....

I purchased 4" air cleaners for the carbs and all over the box it reads "not for highway use"

Should I use these or not???

Thanks


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#45981 06/07/2005 4:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
Sounds like one of those CYA discalimers from here. We say this but you and thousands like you disregard it and thank heavens for that or we'd be out of business...... BS prevails boys and girls......

#45982 06/07/2005 9:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
I don't believe that they flow enought air. There have been several post's about this but it has been a while. Do a search here.

#45983 06/08/2005 6:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
51green,

What 4" air cleaners did you use.


"Drugs are money, money is power, power is security." - Kent Heiner
Nedrow population 2212
Carbon footprint family of 2/11 tonnes of CO2/yr
#45984 06/09/2005 7:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
They are 4" chrome air cleaners from Mr. Gasket

Here is the exact part...

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MRG&mfrpartnumber=4354


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#45985 06/09/2005 9:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53
If you are concerned, go to an auto parts store and look thru the filters for a taller element that will fit the chrome. It will make a huge difference.


How did all this sawdust get under the hood?
#45986 06/09/2005 9:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Sweet;
I still have one of those 4" jobs on my 261 that I bought from K&N. Does a fine job and no problem with insufficient airflow as far as I know. When I do my rebuild, I'm putting on two 2bbl Holleys with chrome spun air cleaners I got from Tom Langdon. I'll volunteer my one 4" one to you for free if you'd like. At least one would be sucking good for sure.


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#45987 06/11/2005 9:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
I used one of those on my 250 with large bore monojet; 16 mpg, more power then stock carb and filter, and no problems.

Boo


We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
#45988 06/12/2005 7:01 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Those ought to flow plenty of air.If you still have doubts,you probably have room under the hood to stack two elements per filter.If clearance is questionable,get a paper cup and cut it to the same height as the element and set it on the air filter you think is closest to hitting the hood,then close the hood. If it doesn't smash the cuo,you're good to go. Brush a little gorilla snot on between the elements and let it cure a couple of minutes before you install them on the carbs.That keeps them from trying to slip sideways or leak between them. I have also used a slice of big diameter heat shrink about 3/4 inch wide to hold 'em together,but Haven't had any of that stuff since I left the mine job,years ago.


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0