The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45948 06/06/2005 10:54 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Im tired of worrying about potentially catastrophic failure of my old school single master cylinder. Is there any way to swap in a more modern dual master cylinder? Surely someone has encountered this before? any info would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
ecihotrodbrakes.com

edit: sorry I mistyped.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 168
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 168
Search for master cylinder. There are a ton of posts about the swap.

jay


Your lack of preparation is not my emergency
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When did dual master cylinders become stock?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
1967 on all cars & light trucks wen,t to dual master cylinders. It was a government regulation. A few had it before that. Rambler pioneered it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I went throught the same thing with a '39 Packard several years ago for the same reason. Be very careful which size master cylinder piston size you choose. Bigger than 1" will not stop you with drum brakes. Pistons >1" are for disc systems. It will take some looking around for a 3/4" to 7/8" master cylinder that has the deep hole for a long rod (manual) versus the short rod used on booster type systems. Hope this helps.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
6cylindersovertexas,

I just went to buy a bracket the other day and the kid that answered the phone at mpbrakes says they do not have a bracket that fits AD trucks and allows you to keep your clutch. He said you can only use their stuff with an automatic. I am pretty sure they had the bracket at one time.

I have dealt with ECI before, but they raised there prices a bunch and I tried shopping around. Ended up with the ECI bracket cause even at the increased price its a lot easier than the time it takes to weld one up and the guys there know their stuff. They are way overpriced on their master cylinder and residual valve, too IMO.

Chris

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
MP Brakes doesn't have an adapter bracket, but Chevy Duty does. You can buy the bracket from Chevy Duty and go to MP Brakes for the approiate master cylinder.

www.chevyduty.com/frame-store.html

It's a good looking bracket and I used the basic design to come up with a bracket for my 37. Not finished with that project yet, but it's coming along nicely. I bought a Master Cylinder from MP Brakes and had them set it up for the lines to come in on the opposite side from stock to keep them away from the transmission. It's going to work great!


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Picture looks just like the ECI one, for $10 more than ECI. These brackets used to be $69.95 everywhere I looked. Mine came last night via UPS from ECI. What I like about it is that it is bent with a sheetmetal brake and then welded using only one piece of metal, if I had to make it myself, I would have a lot more welds.

Would love some pics of your 37 setup as I brought a 39 home last night and am thinking a dual master for it, too since I have to check all the wheel cylinders.

Olivertwisto, if you want a picture of this thing so you can get your creative juices flowing let me know. I can probably take a pic with it in the 53, too since theengine and tranny are out right now.

Chris

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Classic Performance is another source for the dual MC upgrade.
http://www.classicperform.com/


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
anyone have the details as to what dual master cylinder is being sold/used by jim carter's and chevy duty??

I saw the posts of custom car companies,...however, i'm not into billet parts for my truck. thanks in advance

Jason

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
So can a dual master cylinder kit be used in an AD truck with a manual transmission?


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
I've got to ask the same question again. I have asked it in the past but have never got a real decicieve ? answer. Can it be done???

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I've never used a "kit" but my truck has a dual res master with a vacuum booster and it's all under the floor. I made my own mounting bracket, mounted the booster and master to it, made an adjustable link to the pedal and replumbed it.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I bought the bracket from ChevyDuty, though I learned soon afterward that the same part was available cheaper from Classic Performance.

I converted to front disks at the same time, and used a power brake master from a '73 Chevelle, but without the booster.

I had some trouble with the brake and clutch pedals, but solved it by spacing the brake pivot a little further from the clutch pedal. At first I didn't like the solution, but now almost three years and 10,000 miles later I'm satisfied it did the job.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
The kit I've got from CPP came with a spacer for the brake/clutch pedals.

The problem with booster/master cylinder on a manual transmission is that both of them together are longer than the original 4-spd or 3-spd. So, if you are using either of the original manual transmissions the rear transmission cross member prevents the use of both a booster and master. If yer using a t-5 or have put in an automatic of some sort you will have had to have either removed or relocated that cross member.

I know lots of people who run just manual brakes. I'm putting a booster in mine 'cause I've got the space and time.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0