Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
191
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | I put disc brake all around my 56 and the brake kit came with a remote plastic brake fluid reservoir. Frankly it looks like a POS. Has anyone come across an economical, simple metal remote reservoir??
The one's I've seen can get pretty pricey.
Thoughts and rants welcome. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | A 1-pint Marvel Mystery Oil can with a piece of copper tubing soldered into the bottom for a piece of rubber hose would make an excellent reservoir. Just poke a tiny vent hole into the screw top with an ice pick or a [censored] punch. Solder a piece of sheet metal onto the back of the can and attach it to the firewall with a couple of sheet metal screws. Just be sure to wash the can out several times with alcohol to remove any petroleum residue. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have the same plastic one you have, I to don't care for it, and it's definitely not worth the $20 it cost to buy it.
I'll be using the aluminum bolt on reservoir from a medium duty GM truck, or from a P30 Chassis. Remove it from the master cylinder, weld or plug one small hole, and drill and tap the two others for 1/8" NPT, and there you have it, a professional looking remote reservoir for your MC, at next to no cost.
I'll take a picture if interested?
Grigg
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | Grigg,
Definitely interested. If you get the chance, I'd be grateful for a picture.
Thanks, | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Here is a picture of one of these reservoirs still on the MC. Some are held on with hex bolts, some with male torx headed bolts, both approximately 5/16-18 thread. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2598576140080251109wpZrNYGrigg | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 67 | how about a remote power steering resovoir? g.m. uses them on several different vans with too much stuff and not enough hood space to hang it all. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have a few of those remote PS reservoirs, two downsides to them: 1, Top is vented, allowing moisture to get in, and the brake fluid likes to grab moisture. 2, Only one line or reservoir, for a dual circuit master you need two separated ones. Then if you loose all the fluid to a leak in the front (or rear) you still have fluid available to the other half of the system. I suppose you could use two reservoirs, or try to divide it, or use two big hoses to effectively make separate reservoirs, none of these are a good solution in my opinion.
The aluminum reservoir I linked pictures to solves both of these problems. It has a bellows type cover/gasket that seals the fluid from air, yet still allows for change in fluid level. It also has two separate reservoirs (under one cap).
Another thing to note, you can't use just any rubber hose to connect your remote reservoir, and most parts places don't know that, or don't have the right hose if they do understand. I have had good luck with Volkswagen hydraulic clutch remote reservoir hose, it's blue with a blue braided cover, and fits on 5/16" barbs(if I remember correctly) although it is a metric size. You can get it from most any VW parts place. It is designed to work with brake fluid.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 |
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | Grigg,
I really like the GM/Chevy reservoir you came up with. I'll have to go lookin' for one. I was plannin' to use the plastic one until I saw yours! Great idea.
The blue, braided VW line that you mention is made for brake fluid. VW came out with it in the '60s when they went to dual brakes. The plastic dual reservoirs that I have seen are also a VW item. They are available from most VW parts places for about 6 bucks!
I think reservoirs have to be vented in some fashion to prevent a vapor/fluid lock. That is, air has to get in so fluid can get out. At least they have to have a vent on the back side of the seal. As I understand it, fluid vacuum on a brake system is a bad thing.
best wishes,
Les | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | Grigg,
Great pictures!! Thanks for taking the time to send them. I really like your idea.
Paul | | |
| |