The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 6
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 6
Hi All - So I'm tired of poor starting and believe it's due to my manual fuel pump. The reason I feel this is it takes forever to get the fuel pumped from my gas tank to the carb. My most recent experience was cranking the engine for a near 60 seconds and still no gas at carb inlet. So, I think it's time for a new fuel pump and I'm thinking to go with an eletric sending pump.

So my question is, what is the fuel pressure needed for my carb (Rochester Model B), and any suggestions on electric fuel pumps? I'm running 12 volts and it's a 216 engine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow bolters!


'51 1/2 Ton
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
When's the last time you changed your fuel filter?


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I tend to shy away from electric fuel pumps for the simple fact that if your in an accident, the pump will keep pumping unless the ignition is off. A manual fuel pump stops when the engine stops.

Just an FYI.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I run an electric fuel pump (on a 51 3100). I have an oil pressure switch that closes a set of contacts when oil pressure is present. These contacts feed a relay that runs the fuel pump so that when the ignition switch is on and the engine is not running, the fuel pump is not operating. I have a small 'momentary on' switch hidden under the dash to run the relay to prime the carburetor if the pickup sits more that a couple days.

The oil pressure switch I used is found on irrigation engines and is used to turn the alternator on when the engine is running and shut it off (so it won't drain the battery) when the engine is shut down for any reason. You can see the switch @ http://www.fwmurphy.com/products/pressure_vacuum/psb.htm I use a Bosch or Hella relay. Terminal 30 on the relay is fed from a 15 amp circuit breaker. Terminal 87 goes to the fuel pump. Terminal 86 on the relay is connected to the common terminal on the oil pressure switch. Terminal 85 on the relay is grounded. The normally OPEN terminal on the switch is fed from the same 12 volt source as the #30 terminal on the relay. When oil pressure is present current will go through the switch and energize the relay, which turns on the pump. The momentary on switch I mentioned earlier is connected to the nomally CLOSED terminal on the pressure switch. The momentary switch is fed from the ignition switch.

To prime the system the ignition switch must be on and the momentary switch must be pressed for the fuel pump to operate when the engine is not running. When the engine is running (and has oil pressure) the momentary switch no longer has any effect and the fuel pump will run until the engine is shut off or loses oil pressure.

Last edited by Racecarl; 09/16/2008 5:14 AM. Reason: bad link

Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
That cut off switch is a great idea. I'll be looking into that for my truck as well.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 6
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 6
Thanks RaceCarl for the information. I knew a fellow bolter would know how/what to do. Conceptually I had a drawing of a similar setup. Now I can probably actually make it a reality. Thanks again.


'51 1/2 Ton

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0