The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
I read a bit here about chevy S-10 swaps for the AD trucks. IS this a convienience swap, opportunity at hand or cheap solutions?

Youngest son and I are off today to trailer a reportedly 51 home.

And there begins the questions. Where do we start?

I believe it may have a 235 in it. The list of missing parts has not been generated. Our basic idea is to make it a driver, not a show queen. I'd really like him to have a truck he can get around in for reasonable operational costs and simple maintenancece. He has no need for Interstate travel. I have no interest in paint, and limited welding, yet the posibility of finding a drive train to install is there, I'd be remiss to not tell you we're on a limited budget. We happen to have a few You-pull-it yards in our area, and a basic "a part that will do the job" is more likely than finding authentic parts. I recognize that gajillions of parts and remans are available, not to mention the number of antique yards available virtually.

I intend to have him register here and use it as a research tool. I'll likely be here doubly.

Check this?

SOAP-

Subjectively put together an overview

Objectively evaluate and list.

Assess the evaluation and work through the possibilites.

Plan on working down through your best approach derived from the above processes.

Get to work.
Any changes to the PLAN, start with the "S"

If anyone would like to point me in a direction where I might find similar "canned" suggestions that are specific to truck restorations, please relay.

Did I mention that I find this site to be the BEST on the web?

Thanks, I wish I was bringing something to the table, but I have nothing to offer, and can only be sure of taking plenty away.

GeeVee

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
Hope that your plans turn out OK. and by the way Welcome to the bolt. Enjoy on hearing about the father son projects at work so keep us posted, and we love pics. so take the camera and keep the memories


Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
Thanks, been lurking here since I found the truck, mostly because I haven't been able to contribute any real help to anyone.

Now we're bringing it home.

Pictures are worth a million, and I'll have plenty. Using the pin the map link you have, just as I was asking for something similiar, up you pop.

Thanks.

GeeVee

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
You might want to have a look at this:
http://www.ad-engineering.com/

I've bought parts from him and he seems like an up-front guy. I have no experience with his conversion parts.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Mongo, a bolter on this site has a website here. That may give you some insight on what is required to successfully complete. Good fabrication and welding skills are a plus also. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
Thanks Czechman, that must have been what I'd read about in these pages....

Not my cup of tea.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
let me tell you if you can not weld or have a friend that can weld and fabricate you do not want to do a s10 swap it is a lot of work dont know if the ad trucks are easer than the art deco but wow i have striped 2 s10 to bear frame and started to build a frame up 1942 chevy on a 93 s10 good thing my buddy works in a shop that repairs cranes he has made a lot of stuff for me and helped me out welding stuff up keep the 235 and if need be add a auto and late model rear and keep the orginal frame thay make a kit to do disk on your spendle worth the cost in my book if you let your sun drive it


ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to,
Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
AND A MARINE
trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615

I've seen many with an S-10 frames on Craigs List..To me they always look like the bodies are too far off the frame..i.e. more space than normal between the tires and fenders...

Keith

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
GeeVee,

These are the kits that I resell, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have on the S-10 Swap.
http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com

   If it's a good solid truck (the 51) and you can easily get it running/driving/stopping safely. I'd recommend adding 3 pt belts to it and getting him on the road. Other than the belts a brake upgrade would be top of my list as a dad.
   If you want to make it a hot rod project and build it up together the S-10 Route is a great low budget way to get to IFS, modern brakes, and a more modern drive train.

   To start one thing to consider (Like most old truck projects) is how good the body is, depending on what part of the country the truck is coming from and what kind of life it's had you can get into a lot of body work. A lot of people don't think of the safety factor of a cab with rotted out floors, kick panels and cab mounts. Even if you want a vintage looking patina on the truck I always recommend doing the necessary body work on the cab to get it solid.

   Back to the S-10 route. The goal of the kit we sell is to recycle as many pieces as possible from the donor truck (S-10) and save money in the process. The kit allows you to not just use the S-10 frame but to also the complete brakes system (right down to the pedal), steering column, accelerator pedal, wiring harness, and even the motor and transmission on 4.3 trucks. We include motor mounts for the 4.3 V6 and V8 Conversions as well as the transmission cross member and bracket to allow you to use the S-10 Column shift.

Steve


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I'm interested more in using a S-10 driveline (4.3L) in my 47 1/2 ton. I've seen the odd post on this but can't seem to find much more on it. My frame is in good shape. I plan to update suspension, brakes etc. Does this driveline swap work? If so, is there anywhere I can be directed to for more information? Thanks.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Rusty,
   On the 4.3 Swap, anything you read talking about a V8 Swap should be applicable to your stock frame. Your motor mounts will just set back further for the 4.3. I know guy's have done it. I was considering an S10 chassis that had a Later model Vortec 4.3 and 700R4 for my 47 1/2 Ton Project before the 87 S-10 chassis, and the 87 Firebird motor turned up. At this point my 47 is looking at a 40 year upgrade. I think the next one will likely be a 4.3 though.

   Now if you really want a cool 4.3 just look for a I6 261 it's almost 4.3 (4.27702 L).

smile
Steve
"Mongo"


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
I was just curious myself maybe about what Rusty mentions...

Thinking out loud. I'm just starting out here and don't know which direction is up.

Thnaks to all , checked the links. Kewl.



Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Welcome to the Bolt GeeVee. You couldn't have picked a better sight to help you with your project. I used the IFS from a '79 on my '50. More Info here and also here. More photos available on my Webshots. Good luck!


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
Hi GeeVee,

It sounds like this may be one of your first projects, if so I would keep it simple. If you jump in too deep you may end up with an unfinished project, I speak from a lot personal experience here. My wife has finally figured out I have a truck to work on, not a truck to drive. First see if you can get it running and determine the mechanical condition of the engine. A running engine is a big motivator. If your son is planning on driving this truck on a regular basis do not skimp on the brakes. Rebuild the stock front end (king pins, spring shackles) and upgrade with a disc brake conversion kit. There are lot's of kits out there, Speedway Motors in Lincoln NE have some of the best prices. Add a dual resevoir master cylinder and rebuild the rear brakes. Now it should run and stop. If highway driving is a possibility you will find lot's of info here on a T-5 transmission upgrade and changing the rear axle to accomodate an open drive shaft. These changes will give you a truck that is capable of modern highway speeds, will stop a lot better, and is simple and reliable. Also as someone else mentioned, don't forget some 3 point seatbelts. Just my thoughts.

John

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 161
these things always make me wonder: why oh why do so many people feel the need to change all that stuff? as Builder told me once "these trucks were actually made to drive". so make sure your essentials are good (that means: engine running good, brakes working properly, lights and horn working, your steering good, check your front end (king pins etc) and have it aligned) and that should be it. drive it! add some seat belts if you're concerned with safety (lap belts are $30). I drive mine anywhere, any distance. whether it's dirt roads or highway rush hour in Houston TX.
that's my 2 cents. more fun, less cost


I LOVE MY TRUCK

1959 Chevrolet Apache 38 Panel Truck in the Gallery
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Originally Posted by seetz
these things always make me wonder: why oh why do so many people feel the need to change all that stuff? as Builder told me once "these trucks were actually made to drive".

You have a point but to each his own. I drove a stock '49 for awhile before I decided to update it with a V8, MMII suspension & Nova rear & disc brakes and I'll tell ya, for me the difference was like night & day!! My current project I've chosen to update as well but went a step furture by adding fuel injection and A/C.
There are people meany people who choose to leave them stock but in the end, it's your truck so do what best suits you!


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
the new oct. 2008 custom classic trucks mag. has an article on using an s-10 chassis under a 53 stovebolt. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
My 47 runs well. The brakes are good but I'm going to replace the shoes, cylinders etc. I trust the truck, I don't trust the other guys zipping in and out with high powered imports and cutting me off. The motor starts and runs well but I get a little nervous that something that old might all of a sudden break. Updating can give some of us a little more piece of mind. It would be fine if everyone drove stock stovebolts around but, alas, that is not the case. But as mobilortho states,"To each his own."


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0