Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,618 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#45196 05/25/2004 2:59 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 | I found a cheep 270 with cracked block that sombody fixed with JB weld is that stuff very tuff? or would I be better off saving the head and related parts and buying a short block | | |
#45197 05/25/2004 3:13 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | A crack is just the obvious problem with the block. What other distortions of the engine can't you see? I would scrap it and continue the search. Scott | | |
#45198 05/25/2004 5:24 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I depends on what you want to use it for. I did one that I just use around the farm. So far so good. My how-to pictures Read the Stovebolt discussion Good luck, Cletis | | |
#45199 05/25/2004 6:17 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Luke I'm not sure where Newport, Washington is...
There was a guy at the ATHS show in Shelton, Washington, last year that had a couple of 302s he was willing to sell for just a couple hundred.
I talked to him, but didn't get his name or number, but I suspect if you talk around a little it won't be hard to find a 270 that will make this broken one seem like a real bad idea.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#45200 05/26/2004 11:02 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 | Im gonna keep this one for parts and look for a nother 270 or 302 (oldsub Newport WA is right on the WA ID border about 45 minute from Spokane is that ATHS show the same place every year or does it travel around?} | | |
#45201 05/28/2004 2:30 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 16 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 16 | Luke, I bought a PU with a cracked block, and I was told by the seller and a welder, it could be repaired. After delivering the truck to the welding shop, it was determined that it could not be welded. So before I pulled the engine, I thought I would try JB WEld. I called JB Weld and they said it would work if I cleaned the area good before applying the JB Weld. It took one pack of JB Weld, about $4. and it is working so far. Cheap fix and may be permanent. So.....you have little to loose by trying the JB Weld, and if you don't have further problems with other areas, you have a cheap fix too. Good luck. | | |
#45202 05/28/2004 5:08 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Originally posted by oldchevy46: ...that ATHS show the same place every year or does it travel around? As far as I know this one is the same place every year. There is another one earlier in the year (already happened this year) in the tri-cities area. And there could be others...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#45203 05/28/2004 5:23 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 | Hey Steve: How long has it been since you JB Welded it? I'm curoius. john. | | |
#45204 05/28/2004 10:27 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 8 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 8 | stevec,
i've got the same question as steppenwood, how long ago did you JB weld it and does it freeze in the winter where you're at ( i.e. does JB weld put up with antifreeze?).
thanks,
rotty | | |
#45205 05/29/2004 12:06 PM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 16 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 16 | I just used it a couple of months ago. I'm in MS, but I plan to use anti freeze. The cause of the busted block was cold weather. Suggest you look at JB's website or call them.
All I can say for sure is so far, so good. | | |
#45206 05/29/2004 4:06 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | Here's a better alterntive than JB weld. Use Devcon Epoxy Steel. It's sold by industrial supply places, and is considerably more durable and stronger than JB. I've repaired cracked blocks and other castings such as industrial pump housings, etc., and it gives very good results, IF the casting is thoroughly cleaned first. Bead blasting is good, followed by a steam cleaning or pressure-wash to get all the beadblast residue off. The epoxy must make a good bond with the pores of the casting, or seep leaks result. I've also seen a steel plate installed over a crack, by drilling and tapping a series of machine screw holes on both sides of the crack, and sandwiching the Devcon between the plate and the block. For an invisible repair of a crack, spread the epoxy evenly over the crack and press a piece of 40 grit sandpaper over the repair when it's about half-cured. The texture matches the casting surface almost exactly. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#45207 05/29/2004 4:23 PM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 14 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 14 | I've heard of "fixing" an old motor with a cracked block by flushing it out with clear water, removing the themostat, running it until it was hot and dumping plain old table black pepper in the radiator. The black pepper is fine enough to fill the crack and doesn't dissolve. I suppose it would have to be done on occasion. Any of you "ole timers" out there ever try this?
'52 Chevy 5-window 1/2 ton PU '52 Chevy short school bus
| | |
| |