Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible),
238
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | I had a "6D" under the hood of my '50, took some pics of it before stripping off the paint. Now my '66 Mustang had A/C on the front radiator housing. There should be some examples out there on the AD trucks, anyone got any?
Mike | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | I think it would have been done before the twin matched horns were installed. I don't know if that option was installed at the factory or dealer. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 46 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2007 Posts: 46 | The 72 GMC 1/2 ton I used to own had " Gm employee " written in yellow on the firewall under the wiring. I wish I had taken some pictures but didn't think of it at the time. That truck had every option going on it. It even had the Corvette 350 engine and posi. It was a sweet truck. To bad my son smashed it up and wrote it off.
It's easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 79 | Most factory markings I've seen were either done in chalk, paint, or grease pencil. That one looks like it was carved after the paint was applied.
Of course I could be wrong - I have been many times before...
Bluedawg
Bluedawg
God fearing, Gun toting, Constitution loving extremist.
| | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | I was thinking along the same lines. But the paint on the firewall appears to be original. The truck has one repaint on the outside | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The only markings I've ever seen on the firewall/underhood of these old trucks was the paint code. Mine still has the markings under the hood for the factory paint code.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | Hi Longbox, Where have you found these markings located? Just want to find what is original and what is not. Mine is pretty close to original other than a couple of modifications that were done back in the day(before 1960)
Mike | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | My Norwood, OH-built '49 1-ton is original, unmolested and still has the white crayon/grease pencil signature of the assembly line inspector on the firewall between the voltage regulator and the top vent drain. Looks like CTELP or CTEMP.
r, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | a "signature" like that would have been considered vandalism at the factory and is more likely to have been done after purchase
many trucks got grease pencil marks on the assembly line, for their own reasons, but most didn't - NOT a universal practice nor standard in any way, prolly happened at shift changes to let the next crew know what was happening or if something was incomplete
I've seen trucks with indecipherable marks on the underside of the hood, on the firewall, and on the inner fender - always with something that was easy to wash off, and no doubt meant to be
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 143 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 143 | All of my 3 trucks have chalk marks on the firewall, they in no way seem to relate to the color code. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Hi Longbox, Where have you found these markings located? Just want to find what is original and what is not. Mine is pretty close to original other than a couple of modifications that were done back in the day(before 1960)
Mike On ADs, Iv'e seen markings on both the firewall and under the hood, the TF trucks always seemed to be on the underside of the hood only. Again, I've only seed markings for color codes and in a few cases, cab trim. No initials or names. Unless there was someone at the plant named "C Blue" 
Bill Burmeister | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | Sorry Longbox, I should have asked where on the firewall or hood. I am at the point of starting complete tear down. I just want to try to save what ever is original. Sounds like that factory markings would have to be chalk or grease pencil. | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | Hi John, Where did I read that the inspectors signed the firewall, sounds like you know. Would really like to see a pic of yours if not to much trouble. | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | That looks more like a factory marking than mine. Maybe a employee number? Wish these trucks could talk | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | My 51 had the number 250 in what looked like white paint. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2555563570099708909dDNqzn I don't think grease paint or chalk would hold up 60 years. I always thought it was a count at the end of the assembly line of the number trucks built that day.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 50 | Went out and looked at my 58 and it has 2288 in grease pencil right above the battery,just above the firewall & cowl panel seam.The area where the number is on your truck ill have to wipe the years of dust off mine to see if it has numbers.Not to stray from the bolts but a buddy of mine is a big mopar guy and he said there have been numerous cars that have had signatures of line workers found under the rear deck upholstery. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Sounds like the fellow that worked in the shipyards during WWII. He use to sign each ship he worked on with "KILLROY WAS HERE". Many of the GIs saw it and started painting it all over Europe. 
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | MD4Fred -- I just upload a photo of my firewall here I'm not sure what it says, but Mr. Dady said it was there the day he bought the truck new in the early fall of 1949 at Dickson Chevrolet in Dickson, TN. What is interesting is that the truck was built in August at the Norwood, OH plant. I would be very interested to see if there are any other original Norwood '49's with this same marking. My '49 4400 is also a Norwood truck but that part of the firewall was pretty grime covered before I took it apart and had it cleaned/repainted. This is an interesting topic and it would be great if someone wanted to take it on as a research project. Regards, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | this is my 54 firewall writing. I have always wondered what it said. In addition, on the underside of the hood is written "transport" in black grease pencil which I assume matches the original transport blue exterior main body color. [IMG]http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/63/63/7/98/55/399979855NusbNh_th.jpg[/IMG] | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | I am still wondering if the twin matched horns were installed at the factory or the dealer. The signature would have had to be done prior as they would have been in the way. The horns have the cloth covered factory harness with the relay mounted below. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 | Greg_H how did you put the pic in the message like you did? I have chalk writing on mine I would like to show. Thanks.
1957 3805 Panel It's not how you fall down, but how you get back up.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 |
1957 3805 Panel It's not how you fall down, but how you get back up.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | My pictures are on webshots and it gives an address on every picture to be able to post in a forum or on a message board. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Chicago Slim, the link you used is what's prefered here, inline pics are not - see "Image Posting Policy" link to left side of every page here
Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | On the firewall of my originally red '54 it has "com-red". I guess for "commercial red"? Its written over by the voltage regulator. HMMMMMMM?? | | | | | | md4fred Unregistered | | md4fred Unregistered | I am still wondering if the twin matched horns were installed at the factory or the dealer. The signature would have had to be done prior as they would have been in the way. The horns have the cloth covered factory harness with the relay mounted below. _________________________
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Found this on the underside of the grille on my 54 6400 I bought just before the truck show. YellowI've got some more of these pictures from some of my other trucks but can't locate at the moment. Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | yes, and I would have to go look close at my 52 but tonight I can't remember what it said but there is omething on the firewall of it. I've blasted the firewall and you can still see the outline of it. MMMmmmm. | | |
| |