The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Napco Man), 225 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 58
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 58
Hi guys, new to the board, but I've been reading and gaining knowledge from this board for about a year. It's great!

I finally registered because I have two questions. I just had my 250 rebuilt and I'm in the process of reinstalling it. My questions have to do with installing the clutch. Of course in my rush to get the engine to the shop, I pulled of the clutch without noting anything.

Q#1: On the throwout bearing, there is a raised hump in the outside groove. Does this hump go between the fork fingers or outside of the fork fingers?

Q#2: The new clutch set came with a sleeve or bearing about 3/4" long, funny, when I took off the old clutch this part was and is no where to be found. Do I install it? or was it made for a different model? where does it go?

Any help would be appreciated.
Dano


69 C10 LWB 250 L-6/3spd
79 C30 Crew Cab Dually 454 V-8/TH-400

"Takes more than a coat of paint to make it at Thunder Road!"
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 54
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 54
Not quite sure I understand the first question--do you have any pics?

The reason you didn't see that brass bushing when you took the clutch apart is because it's located in the back of the crankshaft. The nose of the transmission rides inside this bushing, to keep it lined up with the engine during accleration, etc. I guess if you had a new crank put in, you won't have to worry about getting the old one out--just drive the new one in. Do you already have the motor in the truck? If so, replacing this bushing will be a bit harder than if it is still on the stand. Several ideas on removing the old bushing:

1. pack the cavity full of grease, find a rod, pin, etc. close to the same size as the hole, drive the pin into the hole, and let the grease force the bushing out. If the motor is out of the truck, this might work, but I've never been able to do it in the truck.

2. get a pilot bearing puller, like this one from matco.

3. take a die grinder and grind the old one out, but just don't hit the crank!


"If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!"

1961 Apache 20 4x4
http://community.webshots.com/album/97352016vHsKNP
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
The hump if I understand you correctly would go in the fork, it is used to keep that inside of the throw out bearing form turning.

One note about using the grease in the pilot bushing. If you go this route, please place a rag around the dowel rod so you don't spray grease everywhere one the bushing is free.

Good luck and welcome to the bolt!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
wink wink wink
Another way to remove a pilot bearing, or bushing, is to get a tap just a little larger than the hole in the pilot and screw it into the pilot. As the point comes into contact with the crankshaft and bottoms out, the pilot will begin to move outward and soon drop out of the end of the crank.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 111
P
Pal Offline
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 111
Hey 6! That's too easy, it has to be cheating! (Why the heck didn't I think of that one?) frown


35 + years of rollin' steel!
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
6Cly, I can't resist asking what kind of tap you are going to use on a bearing? Those races are pretty hard grin grin grin

This trick sure works great on bushings, though.

Joe

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Instead of grease to pack the cavity, use wet toilet paper. Works just as well and cleanup is a lot easier.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
wink
Joe Way,
I called the pilot bushing a "bearing" only as a point of reference because big61fourby referred to it as a bearing when writing, "GET A PILOT BEARING PULLER, LIKE THIS ONE FROM MATCO." grin I have never tried to use a tap to remove a bearing :confused: , might be able to be used on a small new plastic bearing holders :p , however, the point is, Joe Way, that a tap will do an excellent job of pulling a bushing :rolleyes: !


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Chuckthetruck: If I understand you correctly your are RECYCLING your TOILET PAPER and using it to REMOVE PILOT BEARINGS? eek

Gawd......I'm not about to ask what your doing with your old condoms. :rolleyes:


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 58
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 58
Thanks guys! Luckily the engine rebuilder must have removed the old bearing for me. I'm just having a hell of a time driving the new bearing in. It's midnite here on the left coast so I'll try again tomorrow morn.

Again thanks for the grease/TP/Tap solution on driving out them old bearings!

Dano


69 C10 LWB 250 L-6/3spd
79 C30 Crew Cab Dually 454 V-8/TH-400

"Takes more than a coat of paint to make it at Thunder Road!"
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
try putting it in th efrezzer and then installing it.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Play doh is even better than grease or wet TP in the cleanup department. Just don't give it back to your kid when you are done.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0