The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, UtahYork, Rusty Rod, Ponchogl), 271 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,129
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#446518 08/28/2008 3:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
Here's one I couldn't find any info about.

One of my parts trucks has an id plate saying it's definitely a '52 (GMC). I can see that the original color was yellow for the cab hood, fenders, doors, everything. It all seems to match. I trust the PO that he was the son of the original owner. He said it hadn't been restored before or touched since the '70s, and it shows.

Here's the thing, it has pull down handles. Chevy changed to push button type in 52, but does anyone know if GMCs did also?


Dave
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15
I dont know if this helps or not. I have a 53 GMC with push button handles and a 50 Chevy with pull down handles. Both seem to be original doors.


slim rides low
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Chevy went to push button doors in 52...not sure about GMC.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
I got a 52 chevy with pull down handles. My father bought it new off the lot, so there is some truck like that


New deal for old steel
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
Sorry Denny, My father will swear thats the way it came. The doors have never been changed. My father gave me the truck in 69 knowone else has owned it. No work has been done to it other then upkeep till I started restoring it.


New deal for old steel
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
We know it is not un-commom to find that manufacturers would use up all the "old" stock on the next model year. One good thing about the Bolt here is that we never know what we're going to find out or learn. One thing I learned long ago is never bet a man at his own game...especially when it comes to old trucks!!!

Recent example was the 88 Nissan GXE I bought new off the lot. When the clutch slave went bad I tried to purchase a new one but had problems.....seems they used the old 1987's up on the 88's even though there was a distinct change in them.
So, it still happens and will likely continue. I think they do it just to pissss us off!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
We know it is not un-commom to find that manufacturers would use up all the "old" stock on the next model year. One good thing about the Bolt here is that we never know what we're going to find out or learn. One thing I learned long ago is never bet a man at his own game...especially when it comes to old trucks!!!

Recent example was the 88 Nissan GXE I bought new off the lot. When the clutch slave went bad I tried to purchase a new one but had problems.....seems they used the old 1987's up on the 88's even though there was a distinct change in them.
So, it still happens and will likely continue. I think they do it just to pissss us off!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
As Achipmunk stated above (twice), "old" parts were used on the assembly line until they ran out. Also, a 1951 truck might have been registered as a 1952 truck. What is your ID code in the driver's door opening, and, what is your engine casting code?

Tim

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
In the 50's people were not as year model conscious as they are now. It was not unusual at all to title a vehicle in the year it was sold. I remember when these were new, but I wasn't buying pickups yet. The old timers who were actually selling them have the idea that GM kept the doors for parts inventory because if people shelled out money for a new door, they expected it to match the other side. Parts out of a salvage yard was a different story.This question has come up before me before with GMC's. That is why I asked.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
Tim, the serial # is 2131402260 the old engine is long gone. I read some place that in 52 the speedometer change to 90mph, my old one goes to 80. Its like a 51 with a 52 serial number.
Jeff


New deal for old steel
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by crenwelge
It was not unusual at all to title a vehicle in the year it was sold

As is my '51 that is titled as '50... it was built in December of 1950 according to the VIN number and when the titling authority looked up the VIN and it said December, 1950 then by God it was 1950 model.

Bureaucrats will do that to you.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0