The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, classicfins, Charles in CA, CandoBrent), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,664
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
I am looking at putting a 3:55 kit in my 46. I have held off due to cost. I found one a guy never got around to installing and is ready to let it go. He listed it for a 48-53 Chevy. Most places show 40 to 53? Do you think this kit will slide right in my 46? The price sure is right so I hope the answer is yes.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
If anybody would know it would be Patrick Dykes. He is the one that engineered that kit.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Yah..I am guessing it is a patrick's. Looking at the catalogs, they all list the same part number for a 46 VS a 48 to 53.

I was hoping to find out if there were any changes between 46 and 53 to the rearend before buying.

The seller may have the part number available too.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
The rear ends should be the same with a few exceptions that really have nothing to do with what you need to know. Such as, the 1941 to 1947.1 1/2 ton trucks had a torque tube setup that was about 1.5 to 2" shorter then a 1947.2 and newer. Also the earlier trucks had different spring perches.

Internally they should be the same.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
If the price is right, buy it and if it doesn't fit, save it for the AD that your gonna restore next!
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Does the 3.55 kit include the bearing/bushing/seal kit? If you call Patrick, ask it the kit fits your truck. The kit is a good thing to include as part of this conversion.

Please post what you learn from the discussion with Patrick.

Tim

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
OK..Here is what the seller is telling me;

The kit is a Patrick's 3:55. It is new in the box along with the the seals, bearings and bushing kit. He bought it for his 53 but never got around to it and is now willing to let it all go for half price. Seller said everything is still in boxes and he has the receipt to show date of purchse and exactly what he bought.

I called Patrick's. The only thing that I will need to buy is a different torque tube bushing. The 47.5 to 54 don't use the same bushing as my 46. The seal/bearings along with the gears are all the same from 41 to 54 1st.

And wow...I have never called Patrick's. Those guys are some very nice people. Patrick's told me they will send me instructions if I need them.

Looks like I am getting a set of 3:55's!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Congratulations.

Patrick & his son are very good fellows. They believe in full customer satisfaction. Many other vendors sell Patrick's parts (gears-sets, headers, manifolds, etc) and Patrick is very willing to provide advice regarding these parts, no matter where they were obtained.

Tim


Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hope the son keeps up the tradition, most don't.
I wish they would invest some effort in a kit for the 3600's.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I have spoken to Patrick and Phillup A few times on the phone. They are really passionate about our old trucks. That 3.55 conversion is probably the best thing since sliced bread. It allows the older trucks to be driven a little bit more comfortably without installing one of those v thing motors.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Update on the 3:55 kit, I drove 2 hours to pick it up. It was new in the box, none of the bags or boxes had been opened. Owner had the receipt from August of 2007 in his name. He had a 53 and was going to swap out the gears, but decided to sell the truck instead.

I hope to start on the install in the next couple of days.

A guy never knows what places you can find parts. This was a pretty cool place. The guy specialized in truck boxes. He said he had 110 boxes, all makes, etc on hand at this time. I saw several nice 55 second and newer stepside boxes, along with a whole pile of fleetside boxes. He had a 30's or 40's vintage chev cab on hand, but I did not dare look for fear it would follow me home. He bought them all in warmer, dryer climates and hauled them back home to the rust belt.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0