The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shaffer's1950, Uncles51), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,462
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#435169 07/23/2008 1:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Well folks,
I just placed my first parts order for my 65 SWB stepside project. It's nothing too exciting, but I'm stoked to get the ball rolling. Thankfully I have a couple local people that can help me out with it since I know squat about working on vehicles. But, I've always wanted a truck like this, and I think it's gonna be fun. Stressful I'm sure at times, but fun.

I ordered a gauge cluster, a truck cover w/cable lock, a glove box insert, and a matched lock set. This truck was owned by a good buddy of mine, who got it from a guy that did most of the work you see on it now. I don't know exactly he was going for, but there are a lot of little things that need to be fixed. It had been sitting in my friends barn for the last four years collecting dust and being driven periodically.

A bunch of interior work needs to be done. I'm planning on taking out the bucket seats and putting a Yukon third row seat in it. I need to upgrade the radiator since it's too small for the 350 in it. So I'm looking at a Summit Aluminum race radiator to fix that. The gear shift is temperamental, so I need to have that and the sloppy steering wheel looked at by a more experienced person.

It still has the clutch pedal in it even though it's been converted to an automatic. The parking brake needs to be reinstalled. The park lights/blinkers are missing. The roll pan is made out of a 2x4, so that's going bye-bye. I need to redo the tail lights, since they're in the "roll pan" right now. But all in all for what I got this baby for, I can afford to drop a nice bit of coin on it. Well...as soon as I acquire the aforementioned coin. grin

I took some new pics last night when I moved it into the garage. We're getting a good bit of rain this week and the truck has no weatherstripping what so ever in it. So the wife's car is in the driveway until I get that cover in.
New Truck pics

Any suggestions you guys have will be much appreciated! I'm so glad I found a site with so much great info.

Thanks!!
Dave

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by drjenkins
Well folks,
I just placed my first parts order for my 65 SWB stepside project. It's nothing too exciting, but I'm stoked to get the ball rolling. Thankfully I have a couple local people that can help me out with it since I know squat about working on vehicles. coin. grin
New Truck pics

My guess is that by the time you have finished this project you will be close to expert in the 65 Chevy truck.
Good luck and welcome to the Bolt. Keep those pics coming! pix


~Jim
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 213
It sounds like you're pretty excited about the truck, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My truck has a converted manual to automatic transmission too. It still has the clutch pedal in it and has a 350 also. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Joe


54 Triumph TR2(rhd)needs total resto.
60 Apache 10 stepside shortbed
99 Excelsior Henderson
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Dave, welcome to the land of the disturbed. We love it here with our trucks. I converted my automatic to a Muncie 21 four speed.
Takes all kinds.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Looks like you got a good starter project. Have fun and post photos often.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 435
Just remember to stay regular with your medications and keep in touch with your therapist. Without those two basic necessities, you'll be in a rubber room well before your time.
All in all, having the truck will be your only link to any sanity you may have left...after all, you did buy an old truck. That says volumes about who you are already. Good luck.


dj durant

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
S
Certified Bolt Nut
Certified Bolt Nut
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
I think I'd leave the clutch pedal in just to mess with people...for awhile at least. Just remember that the more you knock off your list the more that seems to get added to the back side...take you time and she will come together.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
For a chuckle, hook the clutch pedal up to a momentary switch hooked to the horn..... grin


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
looks like you got a good start,have fun with it..............dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 131
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 131
Welcome... looks like you have a fun project

and remember it will always cost more than you expect even when you expect it will cost more :-)


1952 Chevy 3804
My 1952 in the Gallery

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks everybody! I got in there last night and pulled a bunch of the extraneous crap out.

So two quick questions:

1. What's the best way to remove the clutch pedal? I got under the dash last night, but didn't really spend a lot of time looking since it was hotter than the backside of hell.

2. I lifted up the carpet and found out the guy bondoed the living hell out of the floor. Is it gonna be better to just try and replace the floor, or sand out the bondo until it's flat. I really should have taken some pics of it.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by drjenkins
1. What's the best way to remove the clutch pedal? I got under the dash last night, but didn't really spend a lot of time looking since it was hotter than the backside of hell.

I'd try a cutting torch if you're not going to remove the cab.

That would be the easiest way.


~Jim
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
thumbs_up I had a feeling that was gonna be the easiest way.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I don't know what type car cover you are getting. But rain and car covers don't usually go well together. They trap moisture and cause more problems. So be cautious.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
I'm getting this $99 one from LMC.

LMC Truck covers

I don't have a garage big enough to store the truck in, so I hope this is a good one. My wife's car takes priority for garage space especially with a 4 week old in the house. grin




Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
S
Certified Bolt Nut
Certified Bolt Nut
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
One thing to think about when coving a truck outdoor is the bed usually turns in to a good sized (and heavy) pool. I know my patio furnature cover can fill up with just 5 gals and its a pain to unload. Might get yourself in a bind if the cover doesn't allow the water to flow through.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
just make sure it all drains downhill. Put a pole in the bed that keeps the cover above the rails.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
I was thinking a pole might damage it inside due to the small diamater. I would suggest a padded barstool or sawhorse or something along this line to give more support to a larger surface area. what ever you use it should be high enough to get above the rails as BIG CHEVY 36 suggested to form a slope like your house roof allowing good drainage. Just my .02

Brad

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 37
V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 37
Welcome and good luck with your project. If you have any questions you picked the right place to be. Everbody here is willing and ready to help. Your truck already looks pretty good.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0