The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (mick53, Shaffer's1950, klhansen, TooMany2count, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434376 07/20/2008 10:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
I am getting close to painting our 1935 Chevy 1-1/2 T. Stakebed. I would like to go back to the original color if possible. When we got the truck you saw nothing but rust from top to bottom. During disassembly we found a few overlapping areas of what looks to be a greenish/bluish fadded color on the exterior and a dull green on the interior. Does anyone know what color options were available that year and if so what paint code can I buy it through? Thanks, Tom

old 30's trucks #434389 07/20/2008 11:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
you might want to post this over in the paint and body work section. post pictures of your truck when you have the time we'd like to see it.

kb3csw #434402 07/20/2008 11:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Look at your fire wall plate for the paint code...is it 159?

I have some 1935 paint chips and all codes in text.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #434590 07/21/2008 2:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Unfortunatly both the plates are weathered past the point of visability. Really the only thing readable on either plate is the VIN # on the larger plate(Stamped). I would like to see the paint chips you have for the larger '35 Trucks. Thanks

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The paint numbers would have been stamped into the fire wall plate...

The "standard" colors for 1935 Commercial and Utility truck production were:

159 = Boatswain Blue with Patrol Red stripe and Black wheels.
160 = Brewster Green with Citronelle Yellow stripe and Black wheels.
161 = Swift's Comercial Red with Silver stripe and Black wheels.

"Special Combination" color were:

206 = Omaha Orange w/ Chess Blue stripe
211 = Apple Green w/ White stripe
200 = Cypress Green w/ Citronelle Yellow stripe
220 = Black w/ Silver stripe
263 = White w/ Emerald Green stripe
202 = Cream Medium w/ Black stripe
258 = Armour Yellow w/venetian Blue stripe
250 = Bordeaux Maroon w/ Klondike Extra Copper stripe

The Hood, Body and Molding were all the same color in 1935 and the Fenders would have been Black on all trucks.

If there's a color in particular you want crossed over to a new code, let me know and I'll do my best...no promisses. The stripe colors are the same as modern "sign paint"...those colors haven't changed in 100 years.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #434867 07/22/2008 11:57 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Thank you Mike, I'll try a few different things on that plate to find the paint number. I do appreciate the help. Thanks, Tom

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Not much luck on the ID plate Mike. I am most interested in the 159 and 160. Any help you could send me on the those 2 colors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
53moneypit #438722 08/05/2008 3:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Great site Dave!

I took it one step further and found Boatswain Blue and Brewster Green chips on the 1937 Chevy Truck sheet. Both of these colors are so dark they almost look Black. My chips are very dark also...maybe age has done that to them.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1937-chevrolettruck-pg01.jpg

Sorry Tom, I don't loan my chips...they are to hard to replace. But I will see if I can cross them to a newer code.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #438824 08/05/2008 1:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
I'm guessing they must have darkened due to age. My 38 was originally blue I,m guessing the Boatswain blue as the export blue is lighter. when they painted it red they did not paint the firewall. still has the production scribbles there though the id plates are unreadable with exception of the vehicle id numbers.

kb3csw #439324 08/07/2008 2:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 36
Thanks Mike, I can appreciate you not wanting to loose the chips. I would probably do the same. If you could try a cross referrence on those colors, I would greatly appreciate it. Meanwhile I will try the local paint shop with those numbers and see if they can find something. That Export Blue is a nice color. Thats actually what I pictured to be Boatswain Blue. Look forward to hearing again from you. Thanks, Tom


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0