The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Tiny, 2 invisible), 100 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
Well, I've got a new battery and coil and get a spark from the coil when I touch and remove the points wire from ground. The rotor spins and the points open and close. The plugs and wires look o.k (but they are not new). I have oil pressure on the dash gauge when I crank it. And I have compression (thumb method over the spark plug hole while cranking).

I've got gasoline to the fuel pump - and up to the carb (I think).

She cranks and cranks, but doesn't fire yet.

Suggestions on next steps? Should I choke it or hold the accelerator to the floor? I was hoping to get it at least fired without tearing into the carb...

Thanks!

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Take off the air cleaner, open the choke and look down the carb. Pump the throttle once and you should see a squirt of gaaoline.

If not, disconnect the fuel line and stick it in a clear bottle. Crank the engine. If fuel comes out, you have a carb problem. If not it could be fuel pump, clogged line or clogged filter.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
and, you got spark at the spark plugs?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
I would replace the plugs and wires. I had plugs that looked good....the cores were rusted..Luckily I cracked off the top of one and found how bad they were before spending too much time trying to get mine running. I would spend the jing and replace points, cond, wires, cap, rotor, etc.....it saved me many headaches.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
I agree with InProgress...it'd brobably be a real good idea to replace the plugs and wires just on GPs.

Then if you're going to start it for the very first time, I'd pull the choke out and crank it over with my foot off the gas. If the idle circuit is workin in the carb, this should get sufficient fuel/air mixture into the cylinder to at least attempt a start. If it does, I'd give it half choke and half throttle...and crank it again. From there on it's trial and error to see what it likes best.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
spark plugs $12.00
Wires $20.00
Points $7.50
Condesor $4.00
Cap $10.00
Rotor $6.75

Hearing you engine fire for the first time: PRICELESS!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
I followed all the advice, installing new

coil, condenser, points, rotor, cap, wires, plugs

then confirmed spark at all plugs with them lying on the valve cover.

Then reinstalled plugs, gave it a shot of ether into the carb, and it fired right up. Had to shut down after 15 seconds or so due to gas leak at fuel pump filter bowl. Now off to NAPA for new fuel bowl gasket.

Hope to have sustained run this afternoon!

Thanks for all the help!!!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0