The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
I posted a question in the General Forum about '47's having a 5 window model. I got a response that said they did make a 5 window model for 1947.

My question now is how hard would it be to put the corner windows in a 3 window model???? I've got a '52 5 window 1/2 ton cab that is in rough shape but the top and corner's are fine. Can just the corner's be cut out and installed, or do you have to put the entire top on?? I really don't know what I'm doing but I've got a buddy that does good work.

Thanks,

Martin


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
This guy has what you want to know. Beautiful work on the conversion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/WallyBody?vhost=communityare

I used his photos to cut the old cab and split the inner and outer parts of the corner windows. If a picture is worth a 1000 words this guy has said it all.

Neil

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
On one hand it looks like a lot of work, but I think it is a lot easier than attempts I have seen at splitting the cab at the belt. Everyone I know that tried the latter ran into all kind of alignment problems. Using this method is only a question of doing good body work, not dealing with door and windshield alignments.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll try just putting in the windows instead of the whole top.

Thanks again,

Martin


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
Well, we got the cab back from the sandblaster and have one hole cut for the corner window. We are making progress with the conversion from a 3 window to a 5 window. I've posted some more pictures of the '47.

Thanks,

Martin


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
That looks like it is working out pretty good. I was looking at just cutting out the hole for the window and leaving the door jamb and rear window uncut. I am very interested to see how the final job turns out. It looks like your approach would be an easy fit.

Neil

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
Gratifying to see that you have benefitted from my post of the pictures.
It looks like you're doing an excellent job so far.
One question, what welding method did you use to install?
I welded mine with a Lenco Panelspotter>

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i have way to much invested in my truck to do that but i thought about it all the time i was doing the ovehaul.. it makes it so much easier to back up especially into traffic areas. good going. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
Hello Wally,
Thanks so much for your help with this project. Your post are very much appreciated. As far as the welding, we just used a lincoln mig welder and tacked the outside piece then the inside piece. Sounds like what you used is a sweet method but we didn't have it available. We just went real slow as to not cause any more warping than necessary. We've completed the welding process on the first window and are working on the second. I'll post some more pic soon. Thanks again. Martin


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
I've posted new pictures to my '47 1/2 ton thriftmaster. Got the corner window hole cut and have the Mr. Goodwrench 350 installed. Things are starting take shape.

See things at: http://community.webshots.com/user/cowboycpa

Thanks, Martin


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Martin,
Lookin good!
Youll love the extra windows when you are done.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0