The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Joe H, moparguy), 118 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422904 06/13/2008 6:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I just received notice that my Hydro4000 shipped today. I'm documenting "before" mileage data now to do a comparison. I'm cautiously optimistic. It'll be a week or more before I get it installed and have figures to compare to. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
I've never heard of one...just was on their website.
Very interesting...so you're installing this on a stovebolt?


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
No, I'm not sure how it would work on a non computer vehicle. I'll have to ask that question. I'm putting this one on my gas pig F150. There have been numerous threads on alternative fuels where this has been discussed. I advised that I'd ordered a system to see if it actually works and there are a few who wanted feedback on my experience. I'm just letting them know that it's on the way.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Just exactly what is a Hydro4000? Enquiring minds want to know.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
It uses electricity generated by the alternator to break water down to it gaseous form HHO and injects it into the intake air stream. There is more energy in Hydrogen than in gasoline plus the added oxygen makes the whole process more efficient. They claim increased fuel mileage of 30% on average. The feds offer a tax credit on your income tax too. If it works as advertised the payback will be just a few months.

I put one on my credit card so if it turns out to be snake oil I have some recourse. If it works as advertised I'll buy a distributorship and start selling them. There be a whole LOT of cars & people who could use a 30% savings on their gas bill. grin

This video is about the product.

Last edited by Tiny; 06/14/2008 12:12 AM. Reason: added link

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

P. T. Barnum had it right! That video doesn't even make good nonsense!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
You should've bought 4 units, then you could run on water only.


Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
My computer is acting up and I can't see your video but The last I heard when water is in a gaseous form it is called STEAM.

So unless you car was made by Stanley it isn't going to work.

Last edited by 53moneypit; 06/14/2008 12:53 PM.

1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Tiny,

Let them scoff...I'm in your corner. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I think if anyone can give a fair critique of this thing it will be you.

Regular gas in Eureka is $4.79 a gallon...probably the highest in the nation. If you give a glowing report on this deal I just might buy one too.

Stuart

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Those with closed minds end up in a closet. grin Unlike some around here I don't pretend to know it all AND I'm willing to learn. thumbs_up


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 45
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Tiny
Those with closed minds end up in a closet. grin Unlike some around here I don't pretend to know it all AND I'm willing to learn. thumbs_up


I wish the best of luck for you. It would be great if there was something like this that really works but I'm afraid this one doesn't make sense to me. I would like to see this work for you but would caution anyone else thinking about parting with their hard earned money. What bits of info I could find on this indicates the typical scam to me. If there is any scientific independant testing done, I'm all ears and eyes but I couldn't find any. Claims by believers and careless news teams won't part me from my hard earned money.

First off, using this method of producing hydrogen I believe takes more energy to power the alternator than you would get out of the hydrogen produced. It probably isn't too big of an issue because these setups typically produce very little hydrogen gas. If one were to believe hydrogen injection is beneficial to a gasoline engine, you could probably inject hydrogen more economically by installing a hydrogen bottle and refilling it from a local gas supplier.

The news video that claimed they got 58% improvements is totally non scientific and flawed in their test approach and calculations. The way they determined mpg was by measuring how much fuel was used after running the vehicle 20 miles on a dyno at 55mph which is simple enough. However, they measured how much fuel was used by topping off the tank before and after testing by letting the gas station pump automatically shut off each time. I suspect most everyone here knows that gas pump shut offs are not consistent and will introduce error especially when only running 20 miles. I usually need to average more than a couple of tanks to get a reasonable mpg reading using this method. If the news team would have used a vehicle with an onboard fuel consumption computer, that would have been much better for a before and after comparison. BTW, a modern V8 running at constant 55mph on a dyno should get better than 25mpg (remember there is no wind drag).


Ed Fallon
In seemlingily endless process of restoring a stock 1953 chev 3100 pickup.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Tiny - since you are doing some testing ahead of time to establish a baseline, how about some performance testing as well?

Get a friend to ride with you with a stop watch, and on the exact same course, run about 5 0-60 (or whatever is the legal limit); and then take an average of the times. This will give you a performance baseline to go with your economy baseline.

And while I remain extremely skeptical, I hope it works out for you.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I've got some quarter mile times from the local drag strip that I'm going to compare to. The down side of that is a little change in air temp & humidity can make a substantial difference in ETs. A more accurate before & after test would be on a dyno and there's no such thing around here. My truck currently runs mid to high 15s. I'll be racing weekend after next so I'll be able to make a comparison of sorts IF it arrives in time for me to get it installed before hand.

I'm a little skeptical too, that's why I'm taking the precautions I am to protect myself if it turns out to be snake oil. I've been documenting my mileage for several weeks now, city, highway & combination driving separately. I will do the same after so I'll take a few weeks for my comparison testing to be complete. No one will love it more than me if it in fact works as advertised. I don't blame folks for being skeptical but the results will speak for themselves. As I said before, I'll post the results when I have them, good OR bad.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Hey Tiny just have to tell you I think Sweetie is a sweet little fox thumbs_up


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Originally Posted by 53moneypit
My computer is acting up and I can't see your video but The last I heard when water is in a gaseous form it is called STEAM.

So unless you car was made by Stanley it isn't going to work.
I beg to differ. The system that Tiny is using doesn't use STEAM, it uses HYDROGEN, which is flammable. It might not work, but then again it might, and it can't hurt to try, right?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I'm skepical about the whole thing, but trying to keep an open mind. You never know, it might just work.
Hey, Grant, think we can get Stacey to test one?


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
Which way would you like to test your performance, at the wheels, or at the flywheel? I've got both types of dynos, and you're welcome to use them. If you don't know how to use them, I'll be happy to teach you.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think you've got the right idea, a real world, impartial (no company peole involved) test. That way, you'll get the real results.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
I did the same type of impartial testing about 20 years ago when a bunch of my fellow teachers were consisdering investing in a Slick 50 distributorship. (Many thousands of dollars!) When the series of tests showed a 5% LOSS of horsepower and higher engine temps after the stuff was added according to the manufacturer's procedures, they backed out of the deal.

It's simply impossible to repeal the laws of physics, no matter how persuasive the sales pitch is. Lies are still lies, no matter how they're sugar-coated!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Yea, I knew a guy who knew a guy who rigged a magnetic carburetor to his 53 Hudson and got 200 mpg but the oil companies threatened to kill his dog if he didn't give them exclusive rights to manufacture it. Well, we all know what happened... Haliburton got the no-bid contract to search for holy grail and the 200 mpg carb was buried on the grassy knoll... No, I'm serious, this really happened. No kidding, really.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
good luck tiny. cant wait for your numbers.
i really think it will work out, since there is a guy at ym job that says he has been running a small unit for the past year and gets an extra 50 miles per tank full.
me and my buddy are still playing with different setups, trying different configurations, sheet metal thicknesses, etc.
he is playing with it now each night, since i dont have time, for working on my 57. LOL.
keep us informed... i am hoping it works as they say..
leonard


1957 Chevy 3100 1/2-Ton
Photobucket pictures
In the Gallery
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Originally Posted by LONGBOX55
I'm skepical about the whole thing, but trying to keep an open mind. You never know, it might just work.
Hey, Grant, think we can get Stacey to test one?

I think that is a great idea although I am quite skeptical here I think Stacey could give us some real world testing and if it turned out to work it would be a big break for the guys who make it. I do feel if this thing truly delivered it would be such news that they would be in every vehicle in the country over night with no advertising needed so I highly doubt it works to any efficient degree and am struggling to keep am opened mind here but it has struck up my curiosity.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
You can actually make your own Brown gas producer, which is what this product and others on the market put out. The electrolytic process brakes the molecular bonds of H2O into O and H2. Something which heat alone cannot do. I made a simple device, like so many on you tube, to demonstrate to my nieces and nephews what water can release. I have used a long lighter at the end of the bubbler to ignite the gas.
They, of course have found the small explosions,"COOL!!!".... Whether these demos produce future engineers of "unibombers", only time will tell.
I have not had the time yet to try this out on one of my Sixes. It will be interesting to see if the electrolysis has a high enough output to make a difference in mpg.
Please post your results. thumbs_up


Laura
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
Have you got the Hydro4000 yet Tiny?


"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Laura & acwhite, I'm expecting it this week sometime. Haven't received it yet. It'll be a few weeks before I have any results to share since I'll need to get it installed then spend some time checking my mileage figures.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0