| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,081 Posts1,056,319 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 | Hey guys, after much searching, I decided to bug you all with my question. Does anyone know of a resource to compare chevy 6 cyl Hp / Torque ratings up to the mid /late 70's ?
I found much up till around 1960, not so much for later years.
I'm looking for a straight 6 for a rod project, probably a 250, but can't find a resource that'll tell me the ratings with respect to year. I know they made a bigger 6 (292 ?), but a rare / expensive engine is not in the budget. Thanks, Rick in Florida. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 | Go with the 250 or a Pontiac 261. Either is a perky bugger and built to pull hard. A 292 is a dedicated truck engine, built to develop monster torque at low RPM's. 1951 3800 Be the change you want to see. -hotshoe
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | 292's aren't rare or expensive, at least not in my neck of the woods. A 250 is a nice engine, but you can't beat 42 more cubic inches in the same package. (just a little taller deck) | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 |
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 | Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. The links too, I was looking for exactly that. Rick. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | If you want something different go with a Pontiac OHC 6. 250 CID = 170 HP. In Sprint form (4 bbl and dual exh manifolds) it was 215 HP. They are a little hard to find but cheap to buy. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 52 | Thanks dave, that motor was actually the only 6 I was familiar with, since I have some pontiac experience. If I found one, I'd use it, I already have a pontiac t400, & I'm using a '69 firebird rear (as well as some other misc parts). I guess it'll be up to fate (& budget) which one I use. Rick. | | |
| |
| |