The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (DadsFirstPickup), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,305
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 21
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 21
Has anyone installed a set of Roller Rockers and Roller Lifters in a 40 chevy 6?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
I would be glad to if you can find them! grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
I assume you are talking about a 216 cu-in straight 6? No roller rockers or lifters are made for the 216-235-261 engine family. There were some "Baker hi-lift" rocker arms made in the '50s, but good luck finding a set. But by the time you got to the RPM range where they'd make a differance, pieces of the motor would be flying through the fenders. The '40s era chevy engines will grenade if revved past 3500 RPM on a regular basis.

The 216 is a "splash-oiled" system that uses dippers and nozzles to spray oil at the big end of the conn rods, as there are no oil passages drilled in the crank. This combined with only 4 main bearings, is not the hot ticket for power.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
I have a set of the hi-lift rocker arms. I haven't installed them. Are they really worthless? Will they hurt my 216 under normal use?

Jim


Jim
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
Jim....Hi lift rockers will give you a bit more torque....that feel like power
Please don't push any 216 hard!

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
Thanks Proffit. I have one intake rocker that's been making noise and tonight I checked it and its got a thump to it when I touch it running and is rough moving with engine off. I picked up a set of Fenton high lifts a couple of years ago, and figure I might as well use them when I overhaul the rocker assembly tomorrow.

Not for racing, but it is just a bit hilly here in North Georgia... wink


Jim

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0