The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Shaffer's1950, TexasJim50, Opelika Tom, Oswald, Peggy M, dt235sd, Wayne67vert, Charles in CA), 68 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,281
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#411127 05/08/2008 11:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
... and is it important enough to replace or can I just throw it away and forget it?

PICTURE


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 46
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 46
Not sure...but I have one on my panel as well....My guess is an inner fender to reduce water and mud from splashing on the starter and distributor. But then again that's just my opinion....Roy


It's easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Don't know, but something was bolted to it.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
It doesn't look like anything original.

Harvester

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
It's original... the holes are from where I cut off the rivets that were holding it to three brackets. The photo shows it in its original location.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
Yes, I had those on my truck as well. Cut them off when I was working on the frame.

As mentioned, just splash aprons.

Kinda small and worthless I thought, but I quess something is better then nothing.

Last edited by Shellology; 05/09/2008 2:07 AM.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
They're just splash aprons. None of my trucks have them any more! They usually collect road and engine grime more than they deflect it,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hey Scott, like the picture, ya better hope your wife doesn't find out your out messin' round with those younger chics!
Now Woody, you know me by now, these are, as noted above by ALL OF THE OTHER REPLIES, splash guards and I’m sure that GM wouldn’t have wasted sheet metal on all of their Advance Design trucks if they didn’t have to. There was an inch or more of red clay on everything under my truck when I got it and there wasn’t any on either side of my engine, just an inch or so of grease. Whether you keep them or not all depends on whether you consider what your doing as a restoration or just a fix to get your truck back on the road.
For my money at this stage of your work they are easy enough to get to, they are easy enough to fabricate also. The pans are only 24ga. (.025”) and all the bends are straight and this is light enough material you can bend them up on the edge of the bench. The would have been painted with your under hood black just like the inner skirt. They don’t have to be riveted back in position, they can be screw to the brackets with 10-32 screws. So with a very small effort you can put her back to “as it came from the factory.” I haven’t found that they get in the way of anything that I have done so far and yes, they may collect mud but that was what they were put there for and everything else on the under side collects mud also.
Took a couple of pics of mine if you care to see them in place. http://image69.webshots.com/469/0/0/55/2745000550098611668NYcCey_fs.jpg
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/10/2008 1:56 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I have to agree with Denny. GM put those things there for a purpose - to keep muck off critical components. However, Ol' Red's days of hauling loads in the rain on dirt roads are long over, she's seen the last of dirty work and might only get caught in the rain by surprise.

So, the splash pans are going... but I didn't just cut the brackets, I drilled out the rivets holding the brackets to the frame. I've got my hands full as it is, no sense making more work for myself.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Originally Posted by Denny Graham
Hey Scott, like the picture, ya better hope your wife doesn't find out your out messin' round with those younger chics!


I like those young chic's, that's why I married her, LOL.
Good to read ya Denny! I may have to go to Nissan school so I can pay you a visit someday.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
"I fingered someone would have it nailed by now"
I beg your pardon??? headscratch


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
You just had to bring that up!? eek I never would have know he typed that if you didn't repeat it!


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well instead of eating breakfast I went back and edited the reply for those of you that found the term "nailed it" disturbing. To me and my crowd it has always meant the following:
tr.v. nailed, nail·ing, nails
1.
a.To perform successfully or have noteworthy success in: nailed the dive; nailed the exam.
2.Slang
a.To strike or bring down: nail a bird in flight; nail a running back.
b.To perform successfully or have noteworthy success in: nailed the dive; nailed the exam.
3.Baseball To put out (a base runner).

Phrasal Verb(s):
nail down
1.To discover or establish conclusively: nailed down the story by checking all the facts.
2.To win: nailed down another victory in the golf tournament.
3.To specify or fix: We were finally able to nail down a meeting time.


Meaning that the others had "nailed it", i.e., the answer to the original queston of "What is this......"

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/10/2008 2:12 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Denny, it wasn't the nailed it part that was a little weird. It was the misspelled "figured" part of it.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0