The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, WICruiser, classicfins, Rick Brown, Youngin' Tut 59), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,594
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Here are a couple pictures of the shift lever I am making for my truck.

Shift lever 1

Shift lever 2

I'm not really sure I'll use it. I think it might be too top heavy and cause the transmission to pop out of gear. I tried it on my t-5 and it seems ok but I think I need to add another mounting hole so I can move the center of gravity forward or backwards.

Any comments?


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
looks good........might look even better in my hot-rod in place of my hurst shifter on the four speed muncie.

you do good work, enjoyed your web also.


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,082
looks very cool bill...
reminds me of the down tubes indian larry would use on his chopper motorcycles...

leonard


1957 Chevy 3100 1/2-Ton
Photobucket pictures
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Hey Bill,
Verry Good Job on the shift lever! Do you think you will chrome or power coat it?
Either way they it look good.
I have the original shift lever from my 4 sp granny that I'm gonna use on my Sag 4sp. but still trying to see if I want to use the orginal shifter knob or the 8 ball.
I'm like you I want something diffrent to personalize it inside and what better way than with a shift lever and knob.
Mike

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
bill,very nice.cant wait to see the whole package.your truck is over the top in my opinion.motor is incredible......dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Whoa Nellie! Man that is totally out of left field, Bill! I wasn't expecting anything like that as I opened this post. Very, very cool! I don't think I have ever seen a shifter like that, but I have see some iron work on some cycles around here like that. Nice stuff!!
You need to get that truck finished so we can see how good you are!!
Joe dance

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 04/07/2008 4:52 AM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
That is 1 COOL SHIFTER!...hope ya stick to your guns an make it work!


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Ahhhh. You guys are too kind.

I would love to have it chromed, that would be very cool. I haven't really figured out the colors for my interior.

Poor Joe has heard me talking about bending up my old shift lever, so I guess this is kind of differnt. I came up with the idea after seeing some iron work on line.

The best part of this whole project was it olny cost me about $23.00 to make.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Bill - How is the throw going to be with the new stick on the shifter you have? I'm sure you have checked that. I know when those sticks get long, you start shifting over the seat and into the dash. A "speed shift" takes 15 seconds!
Chrome would be beautiful!!

Joe eek


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
Nice looking there Bill!

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Joe,

I have a really nice short throw B&M kit for my T-5 and that helps a lot, but with the long shifter you are back to a pretty large shift pattern. It is managable, the shifter has over shift stops on it so you can't swing the lever way forward or way backwards.

I'm still not sure the weight is going to be good for the tranny.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
nice work Bill ..... reminds me of the old 'RF' days.

my T5 has a short throw i made along w/ a short ''plain old'' stick and black knob. I welded on a stud for a 1/2''coupling nut
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=584226-R1-050-23A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=584226-R1-004-0A.jpg
see::
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/shifter/index.html
i used a 1/2'' steel rod, chucked her up in my lathe and tapered the end about 8''
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=584226-R1-028-12A.jpg
just simple work

Last edited by carolines truck; 04/08/2008 3:04 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I love it, great work, Bill!!!

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
Love it. I'm making something like that for mine, but probably will go with the 8-ball shift knob.


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0