The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cletus1950, WICruiser), 103 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#395696 03/31/2008 4:09 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Hi all! I just joined here today, seeing as I bought my first stove yesterday! I think she is a '49 2 ton. I've tried running the serial number a couple places with no luck (9154309380).

About me quickly I'm 25 years old I live in Alberta, Canada, I currently work as a Well tester in the oilpatch (7 years) and i have a habit of collecting vehicles. I really enjoy working and somtimes modifying the mechanical aspects of cars. I can do some body work, but I don't have too much experience in that field. I basically like all genres of classic cars i.e OLD TRUCKS kustoms, cruisers, hot rods, rat rods, muscle cars etc. anyway..........

I'll try to post some pics here of my new 2-ton "tessie" and i'm really excited about learning all i can about this beaut. So far i do't even know what the engine size is for sure. It was running last year and it looks like i should be able to get it running pretty easy (battery, new fuel line, clean carb, some starter button wiring, etc.) It has a hoist bed and a 2 speed rear end. Oh ya and i have to get the brakes working. I can't wait to get er fired up and on the road!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52847.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52845.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52846.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52844.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52838.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52839.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52840.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52775.jpg


don't let fear and common sense stop you

'49 Chev AD 2 ton
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Nice truck !


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Welcome to the Stovebolt family. Good News, It looks like your engine is a later model 235 or 261. Good luck with your project.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy rippintare, your serial number breaks down as follows
9 = 1949
15 = Chevrolet, 2 ton
43 = chassis with cab, 161" w.b.
1543 = model number
09380 = regular production number
As 31,32,33 has said, your pictures indicate that your engine has been replaced with a newer one, it could be a 235, or 261, as 31,32,33 has said, hope that helps.

3B #395853 03/31/2008 5:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
hey guys thanks alot! much appreciated. I guess the engine code (T21923) is most likley wrong. Can i pull a number off the block down by th distributor to figure out what the engine is?


don't let fear and common sense stop you

'49 Chev AD 2 ton
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Nice truck welcome to the Bolt I am not sure but I think them turn signals are a rarity.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Rippintare;

Yes, to your last. The engine number should be stamped into a machined spot near the distributor. Good to have another Canadian on here. Gotta keep them foreigners in line somehow, and there's a lot of 'em. You wouldn't be from St Albert, would you, with a handle like that?

Fine looking truck right there, by the way. What you doing with my camper, there in the background of the first pic?

[IMG]http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/60/460/2/93/35/2357293350096215731NILUKV_th.jpg[/IMG]


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Welcome to the Bolt, Rippintare! Looks like that truck has good ventilation, too! Perfect for those hot summer days smile Interesting how the 2-speed shifter has been updated. And I love that turn indicator switch -- Mike Roache has the same one on his truck and I tried to talk him out of it Sunday but he was on to me.

Hotshoe -- There are worse things that could happen to Stovebolt.com than to be overrun by Canadians!

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Hotshoe, haha I'm from Red Deer bout an hour and a half south of St. Albert, (the handle is from my driving/riding habits and my ability to disassemble!)

I got a number off the block that was cast (3769717) hope i can dig up some info with that. The guy i bought it off of said it was running last year..... now i'm needing to figure out some electrical issues, i.e. no spark and starter button isn't working. I found a couple of stray wires and a couple that are freyed (then it got dark out) so i'll have to get my hands on a schematic or do some checking with a test light. Anyone know of a good wiring thread?

Thanks John. Is the 2 speed shifter the one on the gear shifter? (darn i can't wait to get her running so i can figure it all out!) Ha ha, still a little chilly for no glass yet up here! I do have it all but the windshield, and i got a buddy with a 52 GMC 1/2 ton 5 window that has a spare one that might work. And i gotta get the side windows un-seized. but getting her fired up is first.


Thanks, Ian


don't let fear and common sense stop you

'49 Chev AD 2 ton
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
I got it fired, sounded kinda rough, now i'm gonna rebuild the carb and see if i can get a new fuel pump. I got all the electrics figured out (gonna rewire the whole thing come winter)


don't let fear and common sense stop you

'49 Chev AD 2 ton
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/rippintare/SUC52849.jpg

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0