The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#384002 03/06/2008 12:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Its such a coincidence that I have being loosing coolant but there was no sign of it coming from the heater now there is .It just started leaking today from the bottom inlet pipe I think.... That is my question number 1 is the inlet the hose coming from the water pump,or the top hose from the thermostat housing.. I know the core can be repaired..
Question 2 while I have the heater out of the truck can I put a plug in the inlet hose and outlet hose with out the hoses exploding so I can drive the truck and at the same time Shall I put a shut off valve on the inlet hose when i put it back on. Does anybody have a drawing of my heater my manual doesn't show it...thanks again .Peter

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Hey Peter,
Just loop one of the hoses to the other port on the pump making a circle. Won't hurt it at all. Then get your heater core rebuilt, you might want to rebuild the control valve while everything is out.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
I don't think i have a control valve its a recirculating heater. So you say take the bottom hose to where the the top hose comes from (the thermostat housing) and attach the bottom hose to that housing...Good Idea

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The hose connections on the water pump are intake connections. The water pump forces water into the block and the water flow exits from the head at the thermostat housing.

Only Canadians in BC can drive around in winter without the heater!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Fred Its summer here in BC now Has it stopped Snowing back east yet???? Peter....

So what you say above is what I wanted to know The inlet is the top fitting on the heater and the bottom fitting is the outlet.

What about my idea about a valve when I don't need the heater will that work if I turn the coolant off to the heater??? Thanks Peter

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Heater problems like that have been covered before and could be found under "search".


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
I tried but couldn't find a thing probably not using the right lanquage...

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Pete,
I put one of those valves on mine but I haven't driven it in summer yet. It will stop the flow through the heater and cut down on the amount of heat it produces. Some say blocking the flow completely is a bad thing for the core. It really doesn't matter which side the valve goes on as it still stops the flow.

Back east here, it was a day of shoveling yesterday! Driving my truck is still yet just a dream this year!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Any other comments on Blocking the flow of coolant to the heater core during the summer...my reason for doing it was to keep my truck cooler in the cab... would it be a better Idea to open the valve once in a while and to let the water flow..and then shut it off again...Peter

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
If you need to get the core repaired I recommend Maurice's Radiator Shop in town. They are probably the best and the only ones who could/would repair my circular core.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0