Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
151
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | I have a 1960 gmc that I belive the doors have never been off and if they were they have been well aligned since then. After installing new weather stripping from LMC truck I can't get the doors to close. Well they will if I use all my body force in 3-4 swift pushes. But you see my problem here. Anyone ever have this problem or know of weather stripping from another company that will fit correctly? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | It's been a while back but someone here posted the same problem. If I remember correctly the solved it by forcing the door shut and leaving it for a few days so the rubber would conform to the right shape. After that it worked OK. I think the main issue is the weatherstripping available now isn't an exact match for the OEM profile. There are few rubber part manufacturers for these old rides so all the vendors sell the same stuff.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Yeah- i had the same thought. Ive been doing that for a week at a time for about 2 months now. Its not any better. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Might be time for a pow-wow with the seller?????
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Called the support line at LMC a few days ago and have had no responce as of yet. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | ask them if the rubber is from Steele Rubber Parts or SoffSeal - Steele's products are best by far
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Were can I get steele? Ill buy some more if they will fit. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Were can I get steele? Ill buy some more if they will fit. Click
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 | Have you tried adjusting the door latch? Might have to be moved out just a bit. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | The door is dead straight with the fender so Im afraid to mess with it. Its got a nice paint job so adjustment could be heavily damaging. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Thats for that link. On steeles web site I go under 61 chevy truck and it calls them "door" weather striping. Isn't it "cab" and the picture are of older 50's trucks. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 | I think your going to find the same problem with any new door seal. loosen the four bolts on the striker plate and move it out a tiny bit and tighten the bolts. Keep it at the same height and you will not have any problems. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I think your going to find the same problem with any new door seal. loosen the four bolts on the striker plate and move it out a tiny bit and tighten the bolts. Keep it at the same height and you will not have any problems. If I understand correctly there in lies his problem. The weatherstripping is holding his door proud of the cab. Adjusting the striker out won't help.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Thats for that link. On steeles web site I go under 61 chevy truck and it calls them "door" weather striping. Isn't it "cab" and the picture are of older 50's trucks. I can't say it doesn't happen but I've never seen weatherstripping on the cab. It's always on the door. If you're putting it on the cab, maybe that is your problem, it's not where it's supposed to be. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Nope, on 1960-1966 its on the cab and a small aditional piece is on the door on 60-63's. I have yet to install that small piece. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I think the rubber is just too fat. I had this problem with my '54 ... man, I was slamming those doors with unbelievable force to get them to close! The rubber just wasn't right - it was too thick.
Finally, Classic Parts (Chevy Duty) had the right stuff ... I did the job again and it was perfect.
Steel had the right stuff, too, but they were WAY more expensive.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Ok, Im trusting you- Ordered them today! Still no responce from LMC truck | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | LMC has disappointed me in the past, too. Classic Parts never has. Check my web page about this here: http://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/doorubber.php
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 235 | Let us know how you made out with the other door seal. I will be dealing with that on my 61. Good luck!!! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 27 | Well IT WORKS GREAT! Didn't even have to glue it in place. Night and day compared to LMC. Do not waste your time on LMC rubber. Chevy Duty aka Classic parts has what you need!  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | Head on over to "The Doors" forum and you'll see all my posts on the very same problem. Unable to close the doors, I questioned whether I had the rubber on the correct way (I did, and that's another subject addressed there) and who makes a decent weatherstrip. I ripped off the ones I had bought 12-15 years ago and bought new stuff from Classic Parts. I installed it on the passenger door today, and I won't be able to mount the door until sometime this week upcoming. The weatherstripping is very similar to the stuff that didn't allow the doors to close, but it's much less dense. I'm hoping that will make the difference. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I hope this thread stays open, I have a identical problem and am learning a lot. Will get on it when it gets above freezing
Last edited by gazim; 03/02/2008 4:16 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 20 | Well IT WORKS GREAT! Didn't even have to glue it in place. Night and day compared to LMC. Do not waste your time on LMC rubber. Chevy Duty aka Classic parts has what you need!  Amen, brother! The LMC catalogs have gone to the landfill. The last bit of hardware we bought from them looked and felt like the cheapest piece of overseas crap imaginable. Sticking with the good stuff from now on. Chris | | |
| |