The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, JW51, Goach2), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,162
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
I have a 1960 gmc that I belive the doors have never been off and if they were they have been well aligned since then. After installing new weather stripping from LMC truck I can't get the doors to close. Well they will if I use all my body force in 3-4 swift pushes. But you see my problem here. Anyone ever have this problem or know of weather stripping from another company that will fit correctly?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
It's been a while back but someone here posted the same problem. If I remember correctly the solved it by forcing the door shut and leaving it for a few days so the rubber would conform to the right shape. After that it worked OK. I think the main issue is the weatherstripping available now isn't an exact match for the OEM profile. There are few rubber part manufacturers for these old rides so all the vendors sell the same stuff.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Yeah- i had the same thought. Ive been doing that for a week at a time for about 2 months now. Its not any better.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Might be time for a pow-wow with the seller?????


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Called the support line at LMC a few days ago and have had no responce as of yet.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
ask them if the rubber is from Steele Rubber Parts or SoffSeal - Steele's products are best by far

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Were can I get steele? Ill buy some more if they will fit.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by 65GMCDually
Were can I get steele? Ill buy some more if they will fit.
Click


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
Have you tried adjusting the door latch? Might have to be moved out just a bit.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
The door is dead straight with the fender so Im afraid to mess with it. Its got a nice paint job so adjustment could be heavily damaging.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Thats for that link. On steeles web site I go under 61 chevy truck and it calls them "door" weather striping. Isn't it "cab" and the picture are of older 50's trucks.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
I think your going to find the same problem with any new door seal. loosen the four bolts on the striker plate and move it out a tiny bit and tighten the bolts. Keep it at the same height and you will not have any problems.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Big T
I think your going to find the same problem with any new door seal. loosen the four bolts on the striker plate and move it out a tiny bit and tighten the bolts. Keep it at the same height and you will not have any problems.
If I understand correctly there in lies his problem. The weatherstripping is holding his door proud of the cab. Adjusting the striker out won't help.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by 65GMCDually
Thats for that link. On steeles web site I go under 61 chevy truck and it calls them "door" weather striping. Isn't it "cab" and the picture are of older 50's trucks.
I can't say it doesn't happen but I've never seen weatherstripping on the cab. It's always on the door. If you're putting it on the cab, maybe that is your problem, it's not where it's supposed to be. ohwell


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Nope, on 1960-1966 its on the cab and a small aditional piece is on the door on 60-63's. I have yet to install that small piece.

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I think the rubber is just too fat. I had this problem with my '54 ... man, I was slamming those doors with unbelievable force to get them to close! The rubber just wasn't right - it was too thick.

Finally, Classic Parts (Chevy Duty) had the right stuff ... I did the job again and it was perfect.

Steel had the right stuff, too, but they were WAY more expensive.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Ok, Im trusting you- Ordered them today! Still no responce from LMC truck

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
LMC has disappointed me in the past, too.

Classic Parts never has.

Check my web page about this here:
http://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/doorubber.php


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
Let us know how you made out with the other door seal. I will be dealing with that on my 61. Good luck!!!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Well IT WORKS GREAT! Didn't even have to glue it in place. Night and day compared to LMC. Do not waste your time on LMC rubber. Chevy Duty aka Classic parts has what you need! thumbs_up

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Head on over to "The Doors" forum and you'll see all my posts on the very same problem. Unable to close the doors, I questioned whether I had the rubber on the correct way (I did, and that's another subject addressed there) and who makes a decent weatherstrip. I ripped off the ones I had bought 12-15 years ago and bought new stuff from Classic Parts. I installed it on the passenger door today, and I won't be able to mount the door until sometime this week upcoming. The weatherstripping is very similar to the stuff that didn't allow the doors to close, but it's much less dense. I'm hoping that will make the difference.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I hope this thread stays open, I have a identical problem and am learning a lot. Will get on it when it gets above freezing

Last edited by gazim; 03/02/2008 4:16 PM.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by 65GMCDually
Well IT WORKS GREAT! Didn't even have to glue it in place. Night and day compared to LMC. Do not waste your time on LMC rubber. Chevy Duty aka Classic parts has what you need! thumbs_up
Amen, brother!
The LMC catalogs have gone to the landfill. The last bit of hardware we bought from them looked and felt like the cheapest piece of overseas crap imaginable. Sticking with the good stuff from now on.

Chris


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0