Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,478 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 | Hi. Hopefully this is a simple one. We're working on a 1948 GMC fc300 with a 248 engine. The oil filter intake line has been clipped off and we can't seem to figure out where it originally came from. Can anybody tell us where to look for that?
We spotted one place up by the water pump, but we're not sure.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Can you see where the little line/pipe goes to the oil pressure gauge? Usually there is a Tee there and the oil pressure line goes one way and the oil filter hose another. Thats how mine is. Hope that helps.
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | turpentyne, Unless someone has information about a GMC oil filter set-up, you might want to also join the oldGMCtrucks.com discussion group and post your question there. The GMC filter is on the distributor side of the engine (Chevrolet filters are usually on the manifold side) and the 1948 GMC temperature sender is (I think) electrical, while the Chevrolet sender is mechanical, but I am not certain of this (for 1948) The oil filter in attached differently on GMC engines in comparison to Chevrolet engine. My GMC engine is about 20 miles away in cold storage, so I cannot get you specific information. Tonight, I'll try to remember to check the GMC Maintenance Manual to see if there is a photo or a description of the oil filter set up. Maybe someone will provide information for a GMC engine. Tim | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 | that was the problem. We looked in the manual and were surprised to see no picture showing the filter attached to the engine drawings. I'll have to take a look at the oil filter and see what's there. I don't remember seeing any tees.
Isn't it Fun, working on half-missing trucks?! Hah!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | The oil filter on a standard 248 mounts on the distributor side of the engine, near the front of the engine. I cannot find plumbing diagram or picture. Here is a photo from Rob English's oldGMCtrucks.com website. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Heres a picture of where my oil lines originated from and after my conversion from compression fittings to inverted flares in my COE. http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/...er/?action=view¤t=PICT0010.jpgYou should see a 3 way brass block screwed in to the front engine directly above and to the right of the main pulley (facing engine). 1 line goes to the back of the oil gauge, 1 goes directly into the head, and 1 goes into the oil filter. The return from the oil filter goes through a hollow bolt that is used to attach the oil pump to the block (or any convienent drain back to the oil pan). The GMC Master Parts Manual shows this but not in high detail. A VERY important thing to keep in mind is that there are 2 fittings used that restrict the amount of oil flow into the filter and into the head. I cant remember the exact size of the restriction. If you do not have these the oil pump will flood the head with oil and leave the bottom end dry and destroy your engine in a short amount of time. I ended up taking 2 fittings and soldering a gob in them and drilling them back out to the proper size of restriction. By the way my oil filter is not in the stock position for a conventional truck. Hope that helps. Good luck, Jeff | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 | ok, so here's a follow-up question. Are there any oil lines that I buy that'll fit. This is the only place I've spotted anything, and it doesn't anything like what I want: http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/47_55/t1.asp?page=116Or will we need to fabricate our own? That's not something I have any experience with. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | If your just replacing the one line and it isnt going to be a restored truck at this point, theres no reason you cant just use a steel line and some rubber fuel line and a few hose clamps for a cheap fix.
Chevys didnt use steel lines as the oil filter was on the manifold side of the engine and those Jim Carter lines were just long enough to reach.
GMCs used a mixture of steel lines and rubber lines as they had to be routed farther.
Did I explain that okay?
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 48 | yeah. that works. I think maybe that is what we'll do for now. We're just at the stage of finding parts and putting it back together so it runs. Then we'll start the process of restoration.
Thanks!
Oh, Where can I find one of those GMC master parts manuals?
Last edited by turpentyne; 02/28/2008 1:31 AM.
| | |
| |