The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#377362 02/19/2008 5:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I'm replacing the distributor gear and pin, but can only find the split pin and not the solid type. Are the split pins strong enough to carry the gear load? I did a forum search, but was overwhelmed by the number that popped up and couldn't locate an answer readily.


Drew
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Can you find a tapered solid pin?

My local hardware store has dozens of different sizes/lengths of both types of pins. I imagine the roll pins would be strong enough. Hopefully someone will speak up...


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
I've never used the type of pin you are asking about- the solid pin was always available- but if you are referring to a 'roll pin', I don't see any problem with using that. Roll pins in distributor gears have been used by other manufacturers without any trouble, and they are easier to remove and replace if the need arises. There isn't much load on the distributor gear. There are installer tools to compress the pin for installation, but good pliers will suffice. After starting the pin, tap it lightly until it you get it where you want it, and it should work for you.

Harvester

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 89
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 89
I have replaced taper pins in distributor gears with roll pins and have never had a problem. I have rebuild old old distributors made bushings etc etc. And installed roll pins and they work like a charm. My 2 cents. Godd luck either way!


240,000 worker bees!
1960 Two ton Chevy
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Okay.Correct terminology..rolled pin. Thanks. That's what I'm going with.


Drew
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
DrewP,

I don't recall the pin being a taper pin..I thought it was merely a straight pin that was peened on each side to keep it in.

A roll pin (spring pin) needs an exact hole to fit into. A 3/16" pin needs a drilled 3/16" hole, a 1/8" pin needs a 1/8" drilled hole etc, etc.

A roll pin wouldn't fit properly in a tapered hole, if that's what the drive gear has (I don't think it does). It's a simple matter to measure the pin that was removed and replace it with the proper roll pin. The pin will be a tight hammer fit! If it isn't, it isn't right and needs to be drilled to a size that has a corresponding roll pin.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Stuart the reason I mentioned tapered pins as a replacement option was because Ive used them several times for varying projects where I removed straight pins and wanted a tighter fit.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Well,thanks guys.I went with the roll pin and it's a tight fit.I was shown that a 283 dist. uses a roll pin, so it surely should hold up in a 216!


Drew

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0