| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,321 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#37632 12/16/2004 5:25 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 | can i assume that i will get approximately 10 more mph if i replace the rear end gears in my 54 1/2 ton pickup with the 3.55 gears that are available in catalogs? (keeping original 3 speed tranny and torque tube etc)
54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam" Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
| | |
#37633 12/16/2004 6:08 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 | http://www.quiknet.com/~ke6vut/rpmcalc.html
Put in all of your figures. It should help you figure out exactly what you will get for your $700 for the new gears and install kit.
I used it for tires.
I have a T-5 on the shelf and am thinking of doing a new driveline, but all of my stuff still works....so for now...I am not fixin it.... | | |
#37634 12/16/2004 6:08 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 | The 3.55 is a very good choice. That 235 won't work as hard at highway speeds. I did my 53 and now I can run on the highway at 60 or 65 without any problems. | | |
#37635 12/16/2004 7:03 PM | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 | I got a set of 3.55's from Patrick's way back when they came out (early '90's) and have been very happy with them. Good quality, good directions. Not cheap, but no complaints as I didn't expect something for nothing. I figured they added 7-8 mph at the same rpm. That may not seem like much, but the difference between 55 and 62-63 is more than you think. The cars don't disappear so fast when they burn by you on the interstate.  | | |
#37636 12/16/2004 7:08 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 | i know i am looking at a pretty good chunk of money but just not ready to start cutting her up for a sub job etc. but like you all said i would like to get on down the road a little bit without the motor sounding like it is going to jump out from under the hood and 60-65 is lot better than 50-55. thanks again! hope you all have a great holiday season!
54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam" Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
| | |
#37637 12/16/2004 7:11 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | No you will not. The rear end gearing of the the half ton up to 54 is 4.10 and there the difference from going to 3.55 is about 10mph. But, the 54 already has 3.90 and the difference is going to be less.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#37638 12/19/2004 8:10 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 230 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 230 | I have the Patric's gears in the Torque Tube on my '49 1/2 ton , tired 235 and tall (?32"?) radial 16" tires allows me to haul right along @ 65MPH all day , I was clocked at over 75 crossing Death Valley and it still hauls & tows cars just fine .
Do it , you'll like it .
-Nate There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
| | |
#37639 12/19/2004 3:43 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 | Before you go to all that trouble, I went to the local tire shops and moved-up to the tallest tire that I could find, and that took my speed up another ten mph. I also moved from a bias to radial with a larger bubble which added to drive comfort and handling...
Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller
1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver 1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
| | |
| |
| |