The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
can i assume that i will get approximately 10 more mph if i replace the rear end gears in my 54 1/2 ton pickup with the 3.55 gears that are available in catalogs? (keeping original 3 speed tranny and torque tube etc)


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
http://www.quiknet.com/~ke6vut/rpmcalc.html

Put in all of your figures. It should help you figure out exactly what you will get for your $700 for the new gears and install kit.

I used it for tires.

I have a T-5 on the shelf and am thinking of doing a new driveline, but all of my stuff still works....so for now...I am not fixin it....

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
The 3.55 is a very good choice. That 235 won't work as hard at highway speeds. I did my 53 and now I can run on the highway at 60 or 65 without any problems.

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
I got a set of 3.55's from Patrick's way back when they came out (early '90's) and have been very happy with them. Good quality, good directions. Not cheap, but no complaints as I didn't expect something for nothing. I figured they added 7-8 mph at the same rpm. That may not seem like much, but the difference between 55 and 62-63 is more than you think. The cars don't disappear so fast when they burn by you on the interstate. grin


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
i know i am looking at a pretty good chunk of money but just not ready to start cutting her up for a sub job etc. but like you all said i would like to get on down the road a little bit without the motor sounding like it is going to jump out from under the hood and 60-65 is lot better than 50-55. thanks again! hope you all have a great holiday season!


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
No you will not. The rear end gearing of the the half ton up to 54 is 4.10 and there the difference from going to 3.55 is about 10mph. But, the 54 already has 3.90 and the difference is going to be less.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
I have the Patric's gears in the Torque Tube on my '49 1/2 ton , tired 235 and tall (?32"?) radial 16" tires allows me to haul right along @ 65MPH all day , I was clocked at over 75 crossing Death Valley and it still hauls & tows cars just fine .

Do it , you'll like it .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
Before you go to all that trouble, I went to the local tire shops and moved-up to the tallest tire that I could find, and that took my speed up another ten mph. I also moved from a bias to radial with a larger bubble which added to drive comfort and handling...


Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller

1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver
1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Changed mine last year from 4:11's via Patrick's kit and can be happier.

Here's some shots of the switchover:

http://community.webshots.com/album/105853469Imjqnu

http://community.webshots.com/album/111968325LqgnhX


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0